Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

martial arts - recommendations please!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by van, Jun 13, 2006.

1. I would like to lose weight, but I'd also like to be learning some stuff in the process, rather than just riding my pushbike and going to the gym (I'm already riding a lot, but I'd like to do a martial art instead of the gym). I'm not overly fat, but I could definitely stand to lose a good 10 or 15kg (22 to 33lb for you stubborn oldies!).

Is there a good martial art that will have a reasonable tolerance for my existing low endurance and stamina and general fitness, but will help me build on it? I'm relatively flexible for a fat guy - i.e. I can comfortably kick to the height of my head - but not so much that I'd be any good having to do ultra flexible stuff all the time, from the word go. I also played Aussie Rules football for a good 10 years up until a couple years ago, so I'm no stranger to physical exertion!

More importantly, are there any such arts in Melbourne that anyone can recommend?

Thoughts please! Relevant recommendations only, eh? Cheers. :)

2. Aikido is groovy.
    The ground is your friend.
  3. Yeah my girlfriend does Tai Chi, I'm not sure it's for me... I like the concepts and history behind it, but I want something with a bit more force and energy I think... Something to build up a serious sweat. Learning how to defend and fight would be nice too. May as well get those skills while I'm at it, you know?

Aikido ay? I'll Google it right now, I don't know much about it!
  4. For general fitness, I'd recommend Tae Kwon Do. Its great for improving stamina and fitness levels. How hard you are pushed depends on the club, so go along to see a class in action. Some busier and better clubs have time tables, and have a special beginners class. If you like what you see, give it a shot for a few weeks and see if its for you. WTF Tae Kwon Do is more kick oriented and is the Olympic version, ITF is more traditional with an even focus on hand and leg techniques.
  5. Have you looked at good old Boxing?

I have tried a few different forms of exersise, and this really opened my eyes up to just how stupidly fit boxers are. I always though is looked pretty easy, but I was QUICKLY proven wrong. :LOL:

Plus you could mix it up with some body wieght exersises such as pushups, dips, chinups and situps for strength as well. I don't know were there is a boxing gym that would accept rank beginners such as yourself, but someone on NR may know of a group class you could join. I am pretty sure that the skills learnt in fitness type classes aren't really great for self defense development though.

You will still have to pound the pavement/cycle to eternity to shift the fat I suppose but you will be shocked how quick it can come off with a variety of exersising.

Good luck with the fitness stuff mate. :)
  6. All martial arts will allow you to lose weight.

Personally I'd be looking for a balance between losing weight, kicking ass, and getting your ass kicked - which would leave me with Karate or a MMA (mixed martial art) class.

I'm not going to enter the which is better argument, except to say the only thing else I'd look at (though I think for you isn't as good) is prolly Muay Thai...or maybe Tae kwon do.
  7. http://www.wingchun.com.au/ could be good as well, as you seem to want more of an 'quick result' :)

8. I used to train Krav Maga. It's a form of self defence developed in Israel by the army and has only just started to take off in Oz.

9. Wow, so many options. I'm obviously going to have to do a lot of research before I go check any of them out (and then check a lot of them out before I go signing up!). Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advice thus far folks, feel free to keep it coming!
  10. There is a degree to which it may be useful to analyse your somatotype: your muscles and framework and your centre of gravity, to help decide which martial art is appropriate to you. Take a look at the body types that are attending a class.
  11. Wing Chung Kung fu has always been one that interested me, it is not a power based matial art, so can be effective no mater how strong you are. unfortunately i am to tall to be considered the "right" body shape for it

I spent some time doing Kendo. If you want to do cardio work that is absolutly fantastic. And what could ever be wrong with learning to use a sword properly :grin:

Tai Kwon Do would allow you to exercise that flexability, it is primaraly about kicking. But the devision between the combat martial art and the sport martial art has become quite pronounced, (And the sport form is crap) so you would want to pick your school quite carfully.
  12. From what you have advised, the criteria is fitness whilst learning something useful (ie. to be confident in physical situations out of your comfort zone). Boxing gives all of that in the shortest period of time of each workout - footwork, stamina, strength, technique which all translates to power (as opposed to the misconception that over sized muscles translating to power).

The above gives you all the basics and more of what you need now - fitness. Then say in a year, branch out to the arts. You will not get the cardio fitness levels you require initially from performing Tai Chi forms (although these also do produce power as it tunes your technique - but thats for later).

Remember footwork, stamina, strength, technique which all translates to power. Go and get coached on the basics of punching, footwork, technique and drills that will make you vomit from exhaustion.

Regards, Nick
  13. Agreed, Wing Chun is great, did it for a couple of years, it's like 'full contact' tai chi. Loved it, and have been considering going back recently as I have stopped racing my bike as much as I used to.
  14. Later, try to find a school that teaches the three kung fu arts - Tai Chi, Hsing-I and PaQua. Gary Martins Kung Fu Centre is just one example in Sydney (and a very good example I might add). All these three can cover all body types of student and opponents... Depending on my partner for the night which could range from a 65kg dynamite to a large heavy powerful opponent - you utilise the technique and art that suits - I cannot say any one art is superior to the other although the school that gives you the most flexibility is the choice.

Your initial statement was more towards fitness, hence take not on the previous post I made so then you will know what type of deficiencies you are faced with and which 'martial arts' school suits you best. I got sick of joining up to schools, buying the gear and being bored within 3 months. I wisened up and it took me more than a year to find Gary Martins Kung Fu Centre in Sydney - one of the best for my requirements IMO.

Regards, Nick
  15. My recommendations are:

- Thai Boxing: this will definitely help u loose the kilos (and toughen your shins n elbows :wink: )
    - Boxing - you build stamina fast in boxing, especially once u get sparring.

I think these two arts would probably be the most aerobic. There are plenty of good arts to choose from (BJJ,TWD,Wing Chun, Hapkido etc...) just make sure u check out a few classes before you dish out membership fees.
  16. For pure fitness :-

Boxing, kendo or fencing.

Kendo's one of my favourites, because even when sparring you can go pretty much 100% without any fear of hurting someone. (Okay when you get hit on the arms it frigging hurts).

If you want to learn how to actually fight, shootfighting.
  17. I didn't think Aikido was overly aerobic - with the focus more on self-defense than sport. While a great martial art, I'm not sure it would suit this particular aim of getting fit.

Capoeira would be fun - and a heavy duty workout! :D
  18. Kyokushin Karate. They do alot of endurance training, very methodical and the only full-contact sport I know.

Tae Kwon Do would be as good but they require a lot of leg stretching (not good for anyone above 17 yrs of age :grin: ).

I would avoid the more 'mind' martial arts like plaque i.e. Tai Chi, as they take years and years to master. Requiring outmost dedication.

I think.