Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Marks on visor and pinlock

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by sirlc6, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. As the title says I have marks on the inside of my visor between the visor and pinlock. I don't ride without the pinlock on my visor and only remove it from the visor to clean weekly (I commute everyday) do you guys think this is a manufacturing flaw or the cleaner I'm using (just water and a lint free cloth) they aren't scratches from dirt but like something has reacted with the visor/pinlock.

Attached Files:

2. A stupid question I know but did you remove the protective film from the pin lock visor before installing it ?

3. The pinlock was already installed on the visor/helmet when I bought it. So I just checked now and there is no protective film on it. I've had the helmet for about 6 months and have noticed them for about 3 months but I cleaned my visor last night and they are getting worse. Are the pinlocks normally tight against the visor? Mine can slide slightly up and down maybe 1 or 2mm on the visor.

4. #4 Andrew West, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    Yes usually tight and there is a front and back also, the side that should be up against the helmets visor should have like a small silicon seam around outside.

5. Thank you I have it on back to front and it has obviously scratched my visor. Thank you for your help and time. Looks like a new visor and pinlock for me. Scratch that up to experience I think (pun intended)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Does the face side of a Pinlock have a special coating or are they real delicate?

My Pinlock was fitted for me by the nice lady in the shop when I briguht a new helmet. There's big thumb print right in the middle of the visor on the inside, so between the 2 layers annoys the OCD in me. Then the other day I used some glasses cleaning spray on the inside of the pinlock. I've used that stuff on glasses with all sorts of coatings & films. It works a treat on the plastic surface of computer LCD screens. But it looked like it dissolved the surface of the pinlock. I can just make out the spray pattern from the bottle as it hit the surface, like it dissolved the plastic. I apprehensively used some Scott anti-fog on the Pinlock and it seemed to fix things a little. Then last night I tried gently scratching off a bit of something from the pinlock with my finger nail and it left a deep mark. It seems like the surface is soft.

Comments anyone? Constructive put-downs welcome too.

Guess I should read the instruction for care of Pinlock and I think I may be up for a new one.

7. Hmmmm not that I know of. My understanding of the way the system works is with the small silcon bead gives it a small sealed air gap between the pinlock and the helmet visor that is not effected by temperature or moisture/condensation.
    That's the way I see it anyway.

8. That's what I thought Andrew WestAndrew West It's like the surface nearest my face is very soft. As if the glasses cleaner dissolved the plastic and it has still soft 2 or 3 weeks on.

9. Hmmm very odd !

10. On the plus side replacing the Pinlock is about half the cost of replacing the visor.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Jabba, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Al_CamAl_Cam yes, the surface of both sides of the pinlock inserts have a hydrophilic coating, so will absorb any liquid it comes in contact with. if you use a cleaner on it, it will soak it up and leave the spray marks as you said. To clean a pinlock insert just use warm water or warm water and a mild soap, but make sure it is rinsed of with just water. let it air dry, don't use a cloth on it. you can use a hairdryer if you are impatient, but careful not to melt it of course. Any contact with the insert with a cloth or whatever will cause smudge marks and wont clear up.

if your pinlock ever get cloudy or foggy, a simple rinse and dry will fix it! I found this out the hard way. I tried getting it clean with a cloth and ended up marking the surface up.

you can test this but spraying a light mist on the pinlock and you can see it soak it up. and after a while it will evaporate off.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Both sides, well I'll be Hornswoggled. I might try washing the poor little thing in the recommended way on the weekend to give it a good chance to dry.

So I have done the second point of the following:

"To an Engineer there are two types of matter. Matter that needs to be fixed & matter that after you've played with it for a while will need to be fixed."

(Citation: Someone on NetRider)

• Like Like x 1