Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

market value for a 96 honda hornet 250 and more?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cosmo_sydney, Jun 28, 2007.

1. not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...
    does anyone know what the market value is for a 96 honda hornet 250? the bikes done about 30000Ks.

ive trolled the net and from what i can tell, there was never a 1996 honda vtr (which is what i originally thought a hornet was). the redbook website doesn't have 'hornet' as a model and further trolling showed this may actually be the cb250 (which is japanese).

can anyone shed more light on the value of this particular bike (based on the details given), whether it is an import and if there are any known problems with this.

im interested in buying a similar bike and being my potential first bike, this is part of my research.

cheers gang
  2. They are all grey imports. They use running gear similar to cbr250's, so spares and parts are plentiful, although they have a reliable reputation.

Rarely do you see the price of these dip below $5k. Usually closer to $6k.

They use the fattest rear tyre of any 250 (180), keeps the rear looking good but tyres will be more pricey when it comes time to replace them.

I like them, but the price was out of my reach when I started out.
  3. They dont seem to be listed in Redbook whos figures are optomistic anyway.

The market value is the price everyone else is selling for, less barganing.
  4. The model code of the Hornet is actually CB250F (not to be confused with the current CBF250 or its predecessor the CB250). Price does usually hover around the $5k mark which is unusual given that the similar Suzuki Bandit generally sells for a lot less even though in some respects it's actually the better bike (has more torque and therefore revs less for the same power).