Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

mark up on new bikes?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by watertrade, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone,
    This might be a more appropriate topic for the general discussion but since this is my first post and introduction I though I'd post here.

HI... I'm from Canberra, and I'm one of the country’s newest licensed riders. I have just completed my stay upright course and have ridden a few bikes. I have also just bought a GS500.

To get back to my question... I was just wondering what kind of mark up bike dealers put on new bikes? I appreciate that dealers have to make a living - I just wish the whole purchasing thing was more transparent.

anyway I was a bit hasty in buying my bike and after I had done the business I thought about it and now I'm not sure if I got the 'great deal' I thought I had, I bought a New GS500 in 2005 colours with $770 worth of newbie gear (retail) for $7900. I think I should have waited for the 2006 models to be available? ... hmmm

2. Their margin depends on lots of things
    #1 buying in bulk lots
    #2 supplier specials or incentives
    #3 if the bikes have been on a floor plan like borg warner ( its vechicle leasing for dealers as so not to put all their capital into floor stock )

sometimes a dealer can make a bundle on a bike especialy if its ordered in for a customer ( ie 5% on 7 days etc)

other times they can even loose on a particular bike ... ( ie ... its been sitting on the floor for months and they have been paying a floor plan on it )

theres no real fixed margins ... for the dealers its swings and merry gorounds
  3. I think you did quite well... a few weeks ago I saw the same bike advertised for $8,000 drive-away at the dealer in Sydney.
  4. You did well ,last october in sydney they wanted $8300.
    With the new hyosung GT650 and 250 ,the suzuki GS range has droped in price .
    I paid to much i got mine in october.
  5. It sounds like the dealers are having too much fun... I suppose it’s a bit naive to want the dealers to have a transparent system of trading. It’s like wanting honest politicians or making love to be like the movies.

To be fair to the particular dealer I got my bike from they have been very good to me and I will be back in the future if I want another bike.

6. Well when I bought, I got em to show me paperwork showing me
    how much they'd bought em for, so I knew exactly what their profit

If they dont want to show me, that rings alarm bells for me & I'll have
    no hesitation in taking my business elsewhere.

Im not shy or afraid to break balls to get a bargain. If you never ask
    for something it aint gonna be given to u on a silver platter.

eg. Bought an 02 Commodore Exec for my wife & ended up taking the veh
    for $400 more than what they paid for it.

eg. My ZX9R I got for $4000 under the market value. Bought it for $7k
    & its insured for $11.5k