Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Marco image on the front of the Age website

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Seedy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Absolutely disgusting image on their front page right now of Marco lying on the track. Trash journalism at its best. I normally hate newspaper comments, but I encourage everyone to sign up and ask them to show some bloody respect and remove it.

2. that is just plain fked ...
  3. Bahahahaha i got an email from them saying my comment was to abusive towards the newspaper and they will not be posting my comment lol
  4. Yeah, you gotta keep it reasonably tame. I learned that called them arseholes once. They published mine which gives them a mild serve.
  5. thats just messed up.

we get the age so i read the article on the crash... didnt like it much.
  6. news.com.au has a still from the video just below the main item about the earthquake in Turkey
  7. Honestly, as sad as it is, this is life. The photo isn't disgusting at all - disturbing to some may be but other than that this is just life and the media are reporting on it. This is the ultimate price paid by the people who take part in these sports - MotoGP or otherwise.

It really is a sad day for the industry and I feel sorry for Edwards and Rossi who had no where to go but straight into him but in all honesty, if you can't handle the fact that bad things happen in sports such as these and the reality of this particular situation then stay away from the sport and the media.

Unfortunately MotoGP is one of those sports where if bad shit happens, you see it first hand. You're not hidden in a cage. It's impossible to stop literally millions of people posting videos, photos and so on of the incident.

As above, deal with it or stay away from the sport and the media.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Terrible image to place up.

Thumbs down to the Age
  9. Sorry Nucleotide, totally disagree with you. Newspapers don't report on an earthquake, house fire, car accident etc showing pics of the bodies. Why is this any different? Yeah, the internet is full of gruesome pics, doesn't mean our mainstream media have to follow suit. The article is no less useful if they ran it with an old press pic of him.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I know what you mean, but right now on the news.com.au is a gruesome picture with no 'graphic content' warning, of a bloodied man being extracted from a fallen building in the Turkey earthquake.
  11. I just emailled them via the Give Feedback button on their contact page.
    Stating they should be ashamed that they are posting a photo of the deceased knowing full well that he was already passed.

I have provided them with my email and wait for their repsonse to my feedback.

I feel rotten inside that they think it is okay to show something like that knowing the person was deceased....
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nothing new, there was one a while back where a young kid ran in front of bus, and while there were doing the accident report I suppose it was, the bus driver was sitting on the ground, palms in his face and trying to be supported by another person and the Daily Telegraph had the picture and it would of taken up half the page of the newspaper, like this guy has is distraught on the ground feeling probably the most emotional pain his ever felt or ever going to feel, and people want to take pictures so at the end of the year they can get some award probably. Disgrace.
  13. how about Saddam and Gadaffi
  14. I hated seeing that pic of him and have been deliberately avoiding all media of it as I find it quite disturbing.
    Disappointed in The Age
  15. #15 smileedude, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    The accident was seen live by hundreds of millions. I don't have a problem with images and videos being broadcast. People will want to see it and if they dont see it in the paper, theres a million sources they can find it. But I do think it should have a "this material may cause distress to viewers" warning. I also don't think he has died at the time of that photo, but that doesn't make the image less distressing to some.
  16. With all due respect to Marko, and those who are upset by the coverage, it's news, and reporting it is their job. I was keen to get the video and play it back many times to try and understand exactly what happened. A picture is worth a thousand words in explaining things. A "Graphic Content" warning would be a good idea, but the image was grabbed direct from the video feed.

The press are damned if they do and damned if they don't. People want to see the picture, then they get upset that it's graphic. If they don't show the pic, people complain about censorship, and just buy a different paper that does show it.
  17. I get where you are coming from kd. I don't want to watch that video again, but I do understand why others do. But the video requires you to knowingly press play if that's what you wanna do.

The pic they used was pretty much him lying there dead. Well... he was as good as anyway, CPR aside. I just don't see how that helps anyone, especially when it is on the front page of the newspaper in everyone's face who opens the site, whether they want to see it or not. My wife called me to say how disgusted she was, that's how I first saw it. Everyone at her work was saying how disgusted they were. Not bike fans... just people who are not particularly fond of having a pic of a dead guy on their screen.

Anyway, they removed it from the front page soon after this thread opened so it's all history now.

RIP Marco
  18. A tragedy, RIP Marco, re the Age issue yes I agree they could have shown more discretion. The Press Council closest guideline would probably be:

General Principle 7: Discretion and causing offence

Publications have a wide discretion in publishing material, but they should balance the public interest with the sensibilities of their readers, particularly when the material, such as photographs, could reasonably be expected to cause offence.
  19. Pics of gaddaffi with a bullethole in his head were also circulated in press galleries, without sounding insincere how is this different? One was a despot the other a great emerging talent yet both of their bodies were plastered across the media, consider ourselves lucky as european publications are usually more graphic.
  20. With respect I disagree Smee, there is a difference. In the case of the death of a dictator it is "politically" important that people are aware and assured of their death. Even the rumour of the survival of such a person can act as rallying point for opposition and continued bloodshed and fighting. It is important that people that have lived under their despotic regime are convinced that that regime has ended and that a new day is dawning.