Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Mar 23, 2014] Black Dog Ride 2014

Discussion in 'VIC' started by GreyBM, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Black Dog Ride 2014
Start Date: Mar 23, 2014 10:00
End Date: Mar 23, 2014 14:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +11:00 AEDT

Pakenham Library
John Street
Pakenham, Vic

Posted By: GreyBM

Confirmed Attendees: 11
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. #1 GreyBM, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    On 23 March 2014, rides will be held in each Australian State and Territory to help raise community awareness of depression and suicide prevention and to help reduce the stigma associated with mental problems. Cost of the ride is $27.50 for riders and $15.00 for pillions with money raised from registration being donated to Lifeline to assist in its fantastic work preventing suicide, mainly through its emergency telephone counselling service .

There will be five rides in Victoria (see the BDR website for the nearest ride to you) with the ride catering for the Melbourne metropolitan area starting from the car park of the Pakenham Library at John Street Pakenham at 10:00 am . This location is only a short ride from Melbourne, about 40 minutes via the MonashFwy. The ride will be preceded by check-in/registration, and (hopefully – still being organized) breakfast provided at moderate costs by the Pakenham Lions Club from 8: 00 am onwards.

The ride will finish at Warragul with lunch provided by the Warragul Lions Club and will cover around 200 Km.

Last year the ride attracted over 400 participants and because of this the ride is a relaxed affair rather than a race. The roads will mainly be cruisy with sections of good sweepers and enough twisty bits to keep things interesting. The standard should suit all riders including Learners/New Riders provided they can do the speed limit on the open road and can ride for the required distance and ride within their capabilities. If you are a new rider and haven't ridden this far before, I suggest you do a few of the Sunday Learner rides first.

This should be a good ride and it is for a great cause, so mark 23 March in your diaries now and go here to register.

The BDR site also includes a pdf version of a poster for the ride. It will be appreciated if anyone who can, could print this out and get a copy to their local bike shop or motorcycle club etc to help publicise this worthwhile cause. Also feel free to help spread the word by sharing the poster up on your facebook page.

There will be no official fuel stop during the ride. However we will be taking a break at Wonthaggi about half way through the ride and for anyone who cannot make the 200 km distance, fuel is available a few hundred metres from this stop. Fuel is available in Warragul at the finish.
    There is a servo near the start in Pakenham on the old Princes Hwy a few hundred metres West of John Street and obviously people should start the ride with a full tank of fuel.

Corner Markers
    Like last year I will need about 20 or so volunteers as corner markers. Corner markers should be aware that they will need to stay on the corner until cleared by TEC and because of the numbers on the ride this may take some time. However corner markers from previous year’s ride reported enjoying the experience of watching so many bikes parade by.

Important Note - Road Closures
    Due to an Iron Man event on on the same day, some major roads including parts of Eastlink and Nepean Hwy will be closed. Details here and here.
    If you live in an affected area please ensure that your route to the start will not be closed and also ensure you allow extra time to get to the start in case of traffic jams caused by the road closures.

Feeder Rides
    The start is pretty easy to find but in previous years people have volunteered to run feeder rides to the start. If this happens this year I will amend this post to provide details. If so Please turn up to the feeder ride with a full tank of fuel and on arrival at Pakenham, refill before registering.

Rowville Feeder Ride
    7/11 Servo, Cnr Wellington and Stud Road, Roweville Map
    Time: 7:45 am for 8:00 am start
    For information: Contact Petesul
    Please Note: This is a 7/11 despite it being shown by Google maps as Mobil

Geelong Feeder Ride
    Shell Servo, Cnr Gordon Ave and Latrobe Tce Map
    Time: 7:00 am for 7:15 am start
    For information: Contact OzzyDevil

Frankston Feeder Ride
    BP Servo, 298 Dandenong-Frankston Rd, Seaford Map
    Time: 7:15 am for 7:30 am start
    For information: Contact james lee

Diamond Creek Feeder Ride
    Caltex Servo 307 Diamond Creek Road, Diamond Creek. Map
    Time: 7:00 am meet for 7:15 am departure.
    Note: This ride will take the long way to the start about 100 km or so
    For information: Contact cameronp

Essendon Feeder Ride
    Dan Murphy car park, Essendon DFO
    Time: 7:30 for 7:45 am departure
    For information: Contact nearlynormal
    Note: This will go via CityLink. Tolls will apply
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. I'll volunteer to help corner mark. I'm definitely in for this ride.
  3. I can mark korners too
  4. Thanks guys

This one really is a nice little ride. Very scenic and more twisty bits than last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Definite starter for this ride.

The ride last year was one of my first and was brilliant!!!

Happy to provide any assistance required.
  6. I will be riding with my Daughter hopefully or on my own.. Loved it last year and will do it again :)
  7. Will be riding,and will corner mark.(y)
  8. Yep I will be there, good on ya GreyBM for taking on the organisation again. I will put my hand up for corner marking as well.
  9. Registered, paid, got my Winston ordered, etc etc.

Happy to corner mark.

Everyone, don't forget to order your own Black Dog, Winston, from the BDR website. Yes, they're the same dogs as previous years, but I'm starting a collection, all of which will be on my bike every year. So, Winston III will be added to the troupe.

I wonder how many dogs before I have trouble fitting them on?
  10. Will talk to boss. May actually come on a nr ride! (Y)
    Realise it's not specifically nr but hey ;)
  11. No, not specifically NR, but @GreyBM has been organising and leading the Melbourne metro rides for a few years now. A LOT of work, worry and cat herding goes into it each year, and we all end up with a great ride - even if some of us did get lost last year (and found again, lol).

GreyBM, I dips me lid. Sure it'll be a great ride again this year.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I'm in, paid up and willing to corner mark. Looking forward to it already!
  13. I will be happy to assist in corner marking again this year. I am sure it will be another great ride. Fairly sure my son will also assist again provided he is not on call for work.
  14. This ride last year was awesome and my fist netrider (sort of) event. Happy to help out as needed.
  15. Its my first BDR ever..I am happy to join guys. I also gladly volunteer to help in corner markings.
  16. Put me down as a starter. Registered and happy to corner mark.

Thanks for letting us know it's on.
  17. All being well , B & I will be there and will put our hands up again to corner mark ,
    was fun last year :)
  18. I'm in and ready willing and able to corner mark or help with anything else.

19. In......

I can corner mark again if required....

AND - I promise NOT to go for a pushy ride the day before, come off, do my shoulder in, then MISS this ride!

Definite starter this year :D - No cycling < 2 days out.....
  20. Signed Up,
    Happy to help out with corner marking, it'll be a 1st timer:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.