Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Manifold/pipe lengths - Firestorm

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Lectre, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Hey all.
    Was wondering if any of you could solve a debate which a friend and I were having the other day...

We saw a highly modified firestorm on a yank forum (can't find the post for the life of me) and one of the mods they did was a single under-seat exhaust (looked awesome!).
    After drooling over the pictures, I read on and found that the fellow who did the undertail pipe has not used equal length manifolds (IE the front cylinder's engine-out pipe went to the back section, but the pipe coming out of the back cylinder only travelled maybe 10 inches or so before connecting to the front cylinder pipe in a T-configuration, then onto the Yoshi pipe underseat). So it looked like the difference was 50 - 70 cm or so.
    I thought that the uneven pipe lengths would possibly cause some uneven/bad engine wear, and maybe a loss of power. My friend thought that the difference would be negligable.
    What are your thoughts?
  2. anyone at all?
    even a bit of friendly speculation?
  3. replying as friendly 'speculation' :p

to answer ur Q got no idea
  4. Yes, there will be a slight power difference, between the rear and front cylinders. There will be different pressure drops. We're talking marginal power differences tho. Perhaps worth a total of 1hp. And, note, I said perhaps. The motor is certainly not going to explode. Or, rather, assplode.

The cylinders may run slightly differently anyway - one cylinder is going to radiate a touch more heat out to the air than the other, plus one's closer to the radiator, so it'll see colder water first, meaning it'll run cooler (which will also affect power levels).

Cars don't explode when they have unequal length headers (which most do). Hell, lots of 'extractors' aren't equal length headers either.