Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Man to ride around Australia on fish & chip oil

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2up, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Man to ride around Australia on fish, chip oil
    Posted Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:27am AEST
    Updated Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:45am AEST

A former oil driller will attempt to ride around Australia on a low-emissions motorcycle powered by fish and chip oil and waste animal fats.

Now an author and comedian, Paul Carter will depart from Sydney this morning, and is sponsored by oil companies looking to promote alternative fuels.

He says he wants to make amends after the huge carbon footprint he has contributed to.

"For a guy like me that has come from oil and off-shore drilling and that side of the oil industry, it's a nice change to be involved in a project where I'm riding a bike on literally free fuel," he said.

He says Betty the Biobike, created by students at the University of Adelaide, uses free fuel with low emissions.

"She is the only road-registered, properly compliance plated, properly insured bike in the country that runs on used cooking oil and waste animal fats.

"She's also special in the sense that she can maintain 80 and 90 kilometres an hour."

2. I guess the problem of either running out of fuel or getting hunger pains whilst on the road has just been solved ...
    Keep your fish'n'chips in your toolkit.

3. I have a copy of his book, Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse... thought he was more down-to-earth than that 'carbon footprint' baulderdash.

Hilarious if he does this trip to lower his carbon footprint

... with a support vehicle.
  4. If he sat at home and just breathed he'd lower it even more :roll:
  5. Can someone please tell me why this is newsworthy?

Plenty of diesel engines have been run on biodiesel made from used cooking oils, etc - nothing new there. There have been diesel motorcycles before.

Is there someone with more engineering knowledge than me (not hard!) who can inform me as to why this bike is so exciting?

Mind you, any reason to ride around Oz is a good one!
  6. Harley davidson may pick up some tips on how to create a quieter, smoother engine.
  7. they did that a few years ago now, mate. Ever heard of the V-Rod?
  8. It's good to see people doing something different and enjoying life.
  9. Interesting...... I cant see how it lowers his carbon imprint but something different to reading about Mr Brumby in india.
  10. As long as he doesn't start piping on about that whole "I bought carbon credits to offset my campfires and farts" argument, then I hope he has a good time on his publicised holiday. :p