Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Making Wheelchairs obselete.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by waedwe, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Saw this cool new device , I can see it making lots of peoples lives much easier, not sure of the money involved.

Hope our government gets involved and helps out those who need it most

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fantastic innovation, well thought out. The remote control was clever.

But... I'd imagine in reality it wouldn't be much good outdoors though, and you'd need two of them, one for work and one for home.
  3. Are you aware of how much these things cost, and the very limited functionality, or how few people can use it. Just how many times have we see these types of promotions, and how few ever end up meeting their hype? Call me a sceptic, but I wouldn't trust any company's promo video to be honest or reliable in their info.
  4. How can you look at that and NOT think that a Segway could be customised in the same way, and probably for a lot less money??
  5. Quite easily.

A paraplegic would problably find it a tad difficult to lean forward and from side to side.
  6. I've wondered in the past whether a segway could be operated just with upper body movement, with a waist harness. A low to mid spinal injury and you should still have shoulder movement, and you shouldn't need a lot of movement to cause a weight shift.
  7. OK, how would you mount/dismount? There needs to be solid vertical support, which would mean at least three points of contact to the ground are required.
  8. I just think, That wheelchair design has been pretty much stagnant since electric wheelchairs , which are no great innovation in design.

It is something most of us luckilly never have to think of much, so when something new comes along i think it's great that things are being thought about and tried.

Even if it is only in the household where it works, any small step to helping somebodies life being a little easier and more comfortable then it should be encouraged and rewarded
  9. I've been heavily involved in disability action, rehab and wheelchair sports for nearly 30 years and I cannot image one wheelie not laughing at that thing. The only advantage it has over a conventional wheelchair is being able to reach things perched higher than 2 metres. An ordinary chair kills that machine for speed, maneuverability and access like jumping gutters, getting on trains, etc.

It's like some engineer thought, "how can I make a device that makes wheelies look more like us 'normal' people?" I'm not going to carry on about it but disability is more about acceptance and accommodating differences, not making people 'right.'

Stem cell research OTOH ...