Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Making sure my bike is OK for P's test (NSW)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by voicecoils, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I'm off to do the pre-provisional & MOST test this Friday on my 10 year old VTR250 I bought half a year ago after doing the L's course.

I read this well written thread about what to expect on the day, which was much appreciated, but I'm looking for some additional advice on making sure my bike is deemed 'roadworthy' for the day.

What is the 'correct' placement for the rego sticker? Mine is on the left side of the bike, towards the back in a plastic case (but not rolled up).

The L plate is under my licence, which happens to cover that tiny reflector mounted on the back fender. Does the reflector need to be visible?

I have no idea how picky the instructors will be, but I'd rather not throw $168 away for something so minor.

I've double basic things like lights/turn signals working, horn working, tire pressure and will make sure to fuel up the the day before (tomorrow). My bike's also completely unmodified, so I shouldn't have any problems there.

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Mate all sounds good.
    Your bike has to be roadworthy. Instructors are not licensed mechanics nor inspectors. Well unless you have both licenses :)
    Are the tyres good? Hoping they are not the originals lol
    We check all the lights and horn. And the tyres!
    If you have no brakes your not going to pass the test. Although you don't need much.
    If it breaks down it's your bad luck. You and the bike fail.
    L plate and rego are fine as well.
    Best thing to do is look forward to the day. Think of it as going to learn to ride. DON'T think of it as a test. Worst thing you can do. Why add pressure.
    So think of it as fun and learning and USE that instructor. Don't hang back and hope to go under the radar. If you have a question ask it. At the appropriate time.
    If your having trouble with something... slow down, as in your brain and heart rate. Then ask him for a bit of help.
    I see kids eyes rolling in their heads when I am trying to explain something to them. They are still all crossed up and awkward on the bike in their minds. Their not taking in anything.
    It's a big jump in belief. What he tells you will work. He makes it look so easy. He does it every day all day so it is easy to him.
    So yeah make him earn your money.
  3. #3 Tone2, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I did my Ps day with Stay Upright a month or two ago. The dude had a checklist. Not sure if he looked at things he didn't say, but he checked blinkers, horn, brake lights, L plate displayed. My rego is in a tube obscuring the rear reflector and he didn't mention it. My pipes are loud and he didn't mention them either. It could depend on the instructor, but I found mine very reasonable and good value.
  4. Also don't forget to take your licence. They wont let you do the day if you forget it.
  5. Some people find upping the idle speed to around 2000 helps with the slow speed stuff. Probably moreso for for peaky 4cyls though.
  6. Thanks for the replies & tips!

It sounds like my bike won't have any issues. It's about as basic as a LAMS bike gets, besides a postie :)

Another thing I wondered about is that in the learners course they insisted we always stay in 1st gear when stopped, with the clutch in. On the road, everyone stops in neutral as far as I can tell. Does anyone know what's expected on the assessed ride and MOST test?
  7. #7 Tone2, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    The instructor is on a bike too and is mainly looking at you when you're on the road - how you buffer, move, head check, indicate, keep safe distances. I think ours talked about staying in first when you stop, so you are ready to move if/when you have to. But it's probably not high on the list of things they'll be looking at.

I almost never go into neutral when I stop, unless I have to take my hand off the clutch for something.
  8. Don't worry, even if they don't let you through, you get the option of using one of their bikes, and they're VTR's as well.

But it sounds like yours is ok. Check your chain tension as well, mine was a little loose but still allowed to pass. Check on the day (before you go in) your lights, blinkers, brake light, horn & remember your license. It is nerve-racking, but just enjoy it. They're not there to fail you or trip you up (unless you fall off or completely DON'T listen to their instruction!), they're there to help.
  9. Which testing centre are you going to? I went to Rouse Hill. The instructors definitely want to help you. The guy I had was older, and saw the job as his way of giving back to the riding community. He just wanted good riders out there. They know you'll be nervous, especially when you take the MOST, and want to prep you as best as possible for it. Just go in with the right attitude and you'll be fine. Have you been practicing much? That helps with your confidence levels. Even if you haven't, you get lots of practice on the day.

It might be different for you, but my day was broken into four sessions, each around 1hr30 or so:

1. Bit of theory (recapping stuff really), then bike checks, then first practice session. It was based on the skills needed for the MOST, with a steady progression from easy stuff, then adding a bit more each time. It was generally a circuit where you did 3-4 different things while going around the range. Stuff like going for 25-30m in first as slow as possible, feathering the clutch and using your back brake; getting up to 20-25km and doing an emergency stop; cone weave with the cones in a straight line, then they'd be progressively moved out to the right offset etc etc. One of the best things in this is that your speed is measured for the eBrake and swerve by the machine that is used in the MOST. You get a good feel for the right speed to go and are advised not to be too fast (and make it harder for yourself).

2. Road ride. Heading out from the range and in a circuit in the general area of the range. Checking stuff like spacing, safe riding, buffering. They stop you regularly and tell you exactly what they want you to do each time, again progressively adding to the set of skills they expect you to be using. Our instructor followed one rider each circuit. Any issues they'll talk with you directly. He said he only ever had to send one guy home for unsafe riding, as he did a wheelie every time they started up from a stop. Probably don't do that....

3. MOST practice. Lots of it. Not *exactly* the same as it happens in the test (that's not permitted), but they just have a slightly different sequence and spot for the activities in. They made it more difficult than the test, (e.g cones slightly wider apart) so when you get to the actual test, it was easier to pass given you'll probably be nervous. If you don't know what constitutes the MOST, check the RTA website.

4. The MOST. One rider at a time, in sequence. Each takes around 10 mins I think. Once the test officially starts, the instructor can only say the things in the script. Remember your headchecks beforte you start each of the four activities, they're a simple thing to forget when you're nervous and a common reason people fail.

It was hot on the day I did it, so we sweated plenty as you're low speed in the sun for lots of time. Take water - I drank lots, but even still I was cramping in my left hand during the MOST, so maybe have some Gatorade or something to swig during the breaks if it's going to be a hot day. No-one else had this problem, I was just the lucky one :)
  10. Thanks again for the advise everyone.

My test is at Botany, tomorrow morning at 7AM.

Good to hear there's practice similar to the MOST test before hand. I've had a look at what they are on the RTA website.

I haven't been practicing the MOST components exactly, but did spend a bit of time in a parking lot doing u-turns within 2 parking spaces.

I've been commuting to work through the city most days for a while now, so I have had some practice at low speed riding thanks to traffic ](*,) :)

I'll let everyone know how tomorrow turns out! Cheers.
  11. All done, I passed :)

Rain in the morning, hot and sunny in the afternoon.

As for checking over the bike, they looked at blinkers and brake light and weren't too fussed with anything else.

On our road ride, the instructor was in front the whole time, and the rest of us rotated to be directly behind her. It was probably the most relaxing part of the whole day actually.
  12. Well done mate.
    Nice way to see your decision making riding out in front of you lol..
    Anywho stay safe and alert

13. Well done. Interesting to see the variations.