Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

making silencer for exhaust

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by ibanezboy21, Feb 13, 2011.

1. is it as easy as putting a tin can in and drilling smaller holes?
    should i stuff the exhaust with steel wool instead?

pic of exhaust

2. A typical silencer will have an inner tube around the thickness of the exhaust itself, and an outer casing. The inner tube is perforated and the space between the two is packed with some kind of filling, often stainless steel wool. The outer casing must also be sealed so none of this filler can escape, or exhaust leak out sideways.

This design is still very loud in most cases and a further baffle may be used, something which stops the exhaust flowing straight through and forcing it into baffles.

Example of the "extra baffle" that goes in the end:
    Most performance brands have bolt in versions of these to change volume after purchase

In my opinion, if you have the equipment, the knowledge and abilities with metalwork to weld something up and the patience to try a couple times before its right.. then go for it.

Otherwise I'd just go buy something pretty that slides over your diametre exhaust and then make it fit.