Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Make unpacked muffler quieter?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Kernel, Jun 26, 2011.

1. I've found an exhaust on ebay for my DR650 that's going quite cheaply. Unfortunately it's quite a loud system at 100DB, no packing. I emailed the people who sell the db dawg and they said it'll make a small difference:

"Part of the design is to reverse the sound wave back and outwards towards the outer packing for partial noise reduction while the other part is when the sound waves are reflected back they cancel out some of sound.

There should be some noise reduction without packing but the results will not be as effective if used with packing. We have had some tractors and straight pipe Harleys use these with some success. However you should not expect huge sound differences. Most notably you should hear a smoother sound and a reduction of the harshness."

So that should make the police notice me a bit less... but is there a way to knock 6dbs or more off a 100db unpacked muffler without adding packing and without having a noticeable effect on power?

2. I smell camel salesman.
  3. Say what?
  4. Amusement for some - ask silly questions and then laugh at the silly answers. There was a chap with the username of Camel Salesman, who asked very cunning silly questions.
  5. The only silly question is the one that you don't ask.
  6. what muffler is it.
  7. needs to be louder anyway, not quieter
  8. good idea, I think I will do that
  9. get a tk-p muffler and be done with it. they come with a removable baffle.
  10. out of stock :(
    how much $ are they?