Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Major service

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by peter-reebok, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Have always done my own servicing on the bikes, and will attack the major service on the m109 this weekend.
    Get this - to adjust the clutch properly - you have to drain the oil, remove the exhaust(!) and adjust the clutch after removing the side cover!.

Yes, there is free play adjustment at the lever, but a revision to the srvice manual requests that this extra adjustment be made every 24000 klm to ensure no slippage. Failure to do this may result in the clutch burning out quicker than expected.

Oh well, gaskets ordered, and we will see how long this one takes!.

2. Are you single Peter? You seem to have infinite time up your sleeves! ;)
  3. I work six days a week, and the one day I get off, I plan for a half day doing 'chores' and a half day either riding or 'working' in the shed.

This weekend, I have an extra day, and as the major service is $400, and is mainly labour to remove the exhaust, I will do that myself and use the $$ saved to buy stuff for the bike.

I do have access to the net all day every day, so when it is slow, I log on to Netrider and have a glance at what others are doing.
  4. If that's what you've got to do to adjust the clutch, what chance in hell do you have of some other adjustment being able to be done on the side of the road, of it needs to, Pete? Seems like awful design :?

I agree that servicing is expensive, but I spent so many years under or beside, vehicles, with dirty fingernails and cold back, that today I just pay someone else to do the same. I just had the Hornet serviced and it was $400 with all new brake pads and brake fluid, plus the usual other stuff. I can't really complain about that.
  5. That is the price for style!

Honestly, at every 24000 klm, when the average user would only do less than 5000 klm per year, is not a major problem.

Also, being a dry sump engine, the engine sits lower, (the bulky bits) so the exhaust has to run somewhere close, and that is where they decided to put it.

Finally, doesnt break down regularly on the side of the road!.
    Famous last words I know.

While the bike is on the hoist, intake mods and a fuel processor will be added. Cos I need more power!.