Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Major service, what should get done?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Caz V1, Oct 2, 2007.

1. I've got the Virago booked in for a major service today, and I am just wondering what sort of things should I be making sure they do/check?

I change the oil avery 5000ks myself, the bike has done 61,000kms.
    Had new chain and sprockets at 40,000kms. Nothing else needed other than tyres so far.

2. Valve clearance? General safety inspect i.e. brake fluid and pad levels? I don't think most places check valve clearance unless directly asked to.

3. Have you had a look through the service manual? Although you may not be strictly on the schedule you'll probably be able to figure out what significant things haven't been checked in a while. With any vehicle it's never a bad thing to change all of the fluids either.

4. if you don't have the service manual as mentioned above, a lot of owners manuals show what is expected at each service interval.

5. Depending on the model, and how "major" the service is (mine has a real biggy at 30k and 60k :( ), you may be looking at lubrication and/or seals for swingarm, hubs, steering head etc., all of which add up a fair bit. Air filter? pads? Talk to the mech well before you bring it in, to know what you're really up for. You have the right to decide exactly how much you want done, and most decents mechs will advise you on what HAS to be done and what can wait.

6. Buy a Busa.. :twisted:

7. Stranger things have happened :wink:

Well, all is done and dusted, $200 later, which I reckon is a fair price.
    Huge list of safety checks completed, valve clearances were an extra charge, but at least I know they have been checked.
    My oil leak that has concerned me for awhile turned out to be a seal on the sump plug, all up, I'm a happy camper. And.... they gave me a BeeWee scooter to hoon around on for the day, they are serious fun.

8. Sounds like a very fair price... Ahh the simplicity of a basic naked bike.