Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Major service or DIY?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Salad Cycle, Oct 26, 2014.

1. #1 Salad Cycle, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

I have just bought a 2007 cbr125r with ~18000kms for $1700. I am stoked.

My last bike was in constant disrepair and I could not fix it myself (very costly).

I want to ensure a long service life though proper maintenance and I want to do it myself.

I will get air pressure, oil, coolant change and fill up petrol tomorrow. I am reading the cbr125r owners manual but it will take a bit of time to digest it.

Is there anything you can recommend so I do not make noob mistakes and waste money damage the bike etc. Perhaps a repair/service resource etc.

I appreciate any help you can give my so that I do this right.
  2. Buy a good tool set. Never loose your patience. If something isn't happening the way it should, step back and rethink it rather than applying more force.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I've spent more than half my life with grease under my fingernails, but I've always paid someone to service my motorcycles....
  4. Is the bike in good nick atm? find a cbr owners forum online and browse through it. They would be your best resource, esp for a common bike. If you already have the service manual thats an excellent start.
  5. #5 Salad Cycle, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    Thanks for you input. The bike is in pretty good nick.

There is oil on the chain.

There is some rust on the forks. Also I want to replace the mmip mmip horn.

There is some rust on the header.

The chain should have 3cm slack but has 5cm slack.

Front break fluid looks good.

Back break fluid is just below maximum line. Strange pink colour different to front break fluid.

No issues here.

The coolant level is an inch above the upper limit although that probably is not a problem. It is green so probably ethylene glycol type coolant.

I will do the following today.

1) Fuel up (I must have like 1 litre of fuel left).
    2) Air pressure 29 front 33 rear tire.
    3) Buy 10w40 castrol oil 1litre (apparently cbr125r takes about 900 ml).
    4) Buy ethylene glycol based 1litre coolant
    5) Buy chain oil and greaser
    6) Change oil and coolant.
    7) Degrease and reapply chain oil, Tighten chain to 3cm recommended slack.
    8) Wash bike with sponge and cold water.

In future I want to completely clean the bike of corrosion. Can anyone recommend a product for that?

Anything else I should check/change before it becomes a problem?
  6. Don't use degreaser on the chain. Get some low odor kero from bunnings and wipe the chain down with a rag.

Clean up those forks with a nylon scrub pad and wd40. Frankly they have me a bit concerned. new forks and re-chroming are expensive options.
  7. Follow the manual's advice about the coolant change and mix the concentrated coolant with demineralised water, not tap water. Or buy ready-mixed. The manual will tell you how to bleed air out of the cooling system (usually by letting it run for three minutes with the radiator cap off and then snapping the throttle open a few times).
  8. Update:

I have changed the oil. It was pretty black.

I have adjusted the chain to under 3cm slack, cleaned and regreased. Chain and rear sprocket looks good so I won't replace it yet.

I have done some cleaning/rust removal.

Have not changed coolant yet.

So should be good from here. No mechanic needed.

Thanks for the advice.
  9. Oil will always come out black, even if you change it long before the recommended time.
  10. Invest in a torque wrench!

Remember, google & youtube are your friends, cross-reference these with your service/workshop manual. Take things slowly, think about each step & take photos as you go (to help with reassembly).
    Working on your own bike is very gratifying, which enhances the whole motorcycling experience.
    Yes, you will make mistakes, but learn by them and don't sweat it.