Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

major chain problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by markwearspants, Apr 5, 2010.

1. hi there. so i am a learner and ride a 1983 honda vt250f. (passed down through the family since new)

i went to my mates house and he said the chain was a bit loose. we undid the bolts and tightened the nut on the back of the rear forks.

i dont know what he did because the chain is a little loose. then half a rotation of the wheel. if i check it again its quite tight. much too tight to be ride on. and when i press the rear brake now its really firm and i have to kick the rear brake lever back up with my foot ( drum brake)

anybody know how to properly adjust these chains? i cant find a thread anywhere. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Nice choice of bike :p

If your chain is going tight-loose-tight etc then its overdue for a replacement.

I'd suggest getting both new sprockets as well as a decent chain. Then with a little maintenance every now and then it should last for years.
    The sprockets are fairly cheap and easy to replace, but the chain will set you back a bit more if you get a good one.
    Cheap chains generally don't last very long at all and financially aren't worth it if you plan to keep the bike more than 6 months.

Also when your friend undid the bolt at the rear wheel, that was to move the wheel further back, putting more or less tension on the chain until its right. Since either side of the rear wheel is adjustable, once the chain is at a good tension you need to make sure the wheel is pointing straight and inline with the front wheel. There are markings next to the bolt that you can use to line it up (only if the bike hasn't been crashed in the past).

PM me your email and I can send you a copy of the entire workshop manual for one of these bikes :)

3. http://www.ehow.com/video_4956935_adjust-motorcycle-chain.html

have a look at this.

When he talks about tight spots, that's what you have in your chain. You adjust the chain at the tight spot, so that is the tightest it will be when riding. Set the slack to 30mm at the tight spot, if it is more than 45mm at the loose spot, then your chain is stuffed, and you should get a new one fitted - get new sprockets at the same time, or the chain will wear out prematurely. Don't muck around with an old chain, if your chain jumps off the sprocket it will lock your back wheel and you will slide down the road.

Your rear drum brake is rod operated, when you move the rear wheel to adjust the chain, you need to adjust the length of the rod to compensate, the adjustment is at the back of the rod, where it passes through the actuation arm that comes out of the drum. Easy to do, play around with it to get the feel you want. As the rear brake wears it may need adjustment too, at the same place.