Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Maintenance tool kit suggestions

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by sillygit, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Hey All,
    I'm looking at getting started on a maintenance tool kit. I've read over some of the other threads and it looks like either Sidcrome or Kincrome might be the way to go. What specific tools/sockets/etc do you suggest I get for starters...?

I'm going to head down to Just Tools on the weekend to do some shopping.

Cheers,
    Dan

2. Without knowing what you ride or how deep you want to go in, it's hard to suggest any tools other than the "right ones". :LOL:

I like Repco tools, not because they are necessarily heaps better than other brands, but because the few times I have needed to exercise the warranty I have walked in to the local Repco and had the replacement issued on the spot.

3. I also have Repco stuff and am very pleased with it. Yes, the have a national warranty and it can be done in any store because they are a national chain and not franchise owned. Awesome point.

Meanwhile, by maintenance you mean carry with the bike or you mean in the garage?

Garage I'd recommend a 3/8" or 1/2" socket set and some combination open/ring ended spanners. Get a set of Phillips and flat-head screwdrivers, a ring of Allen keys, some circlip pliers, some vice-grip pliers and you're set. If anything else comes up you can buy it as you need it, but those tools there will get you out of 99% of situations.

On the bike I take a 1/4" slide-bar socket wrench and only the heads I need for my bike. In addition, I take a cheap set of open-ends, screwdrivers, pliers and allen keys. A spare sparkplug and some duct tape finish the set off, all kept in an old pencil case.

Cheers - boingk

4. To add to the list the total tools stuff is pretty good and a bit cheaper than kincrome/sidcrome.. except if you get the ratchet ring spanners only get kincrome or sidcrome.. The Total tools ratchet rings spanners we have managed to bust everything else has lasted our abuse!

Cheers

Craig

Oh and +1 on boingk's tool suggestions, i would just add a race stand (must have!) and get a set of 1/4-3/8 drive allen key sockets if your bike has a few allen key bolts on it, you can get so much more torque through a socket drive.. Also I would reccomend spending the $600 plus to get a ~150pc kit.. then everything has a place and is easy to find if you need it.. (assuming you put it back after last time)

5. Thanks for the info guys. My current bike is a Street Triple and it's for garage maintenance...

6. Garage Maintenance? Are you going to be doing top end rebuilds or just changing oil etc?

7. FBH

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

8.  Top
  9. Yeah, sorry, I meant the tools are for the garage. I don't plan on doing anything too complicated; changing oil, switching out a shock, etc. I have a basic (and cheap) set of tools that has served me reasonably well, but I have a feeling that they are made from recycled rubber bands...

Nice tip twistngo. Thanks!

10. Quick question; what's a good sized torque wrench for motorcycle related work? My dad has a spare but it's about half a meter long. Seems like it would be bit annoying...

11. I have a 1/2 inch 20-200 NM wrench that is great for axle bolts and sproket bolts and thats about it. I want a 3/8 inch 10-100 NM one for more accurate work on brake caliper bolts, disc bolts and suspension components as the 1/2 inch is a little brutal for that work.

Some people don't bother with torque wrenchs at all, and that's okay if they want to do $hit work on there own bike, but I like to at least try to be a little accurate...

12. socket sets, 1/4 and 1/2" should do nicely, although a 3/8" would be convenient as well.
    T-Bar allen keys, wrenches (sizes 7-30, from undoing little nuts to sump plugs, etc..)
    Good set of cushion grip screw drivers
    air compressor, rattle gun will also come in handy for those tight nuts and bolts on places like rear shock linkages and seized bolts and stuff..

Thats all I can think off the top of my head right now for basic maintenance
    Go quality tools like Sidchrome and Stanley, they'll last you forever.

13. My linkages are done up to 44nm no way anyone is going near them with a rattle gun.

T-bars = good stuff. I would piss 1/4" drive off for 3/8.
    In hex sockets if your bike uses them.