Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Maintaining straight line

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Duffman, Aug 17, 2006.

1. I've been noticing over the last few weeks that i'm having trouble keeping the bike in a straight line.

What i mean is that i tend to be wandering around in my lane a little. For example while plodding along this morning to the left of the oil slick, i'd drift into the slick and then back out, then into it again and over it etc etc etc.

I'm not sure why i'm doing this. Its certainly not intentional. I was thinking perhaps i am sub-conciously just trying to remain in the centre of the lane?

Now that i think about it, when i was borrowing a CBRrr not long ago, i didnt have this problem, but on my bike i do. Could it be that the forward position and "tighter" steering on the CRB reduced that sort of handle bar wobble?

Perhaps you more experienced riders can suggest what i'm doing wrong and how i may overcome it.

2. If your cruising along at say 80-100km/h and take your hands off the bars, does the bike track straight or does it deviate?
    Where are you looking when the bike starts to deviate?
  3. hmmmmm, i'm pretty sure it deviates a bit.
  4. Tyre pressure first. Then steering head bearing. Is it a new bike? Steering head bearings initially losen a bit over the first few thousand kms..which reminds me, I have to retighten the GTR's bearings.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Tyre pressure was about the only thing i new to check, so yep thats sweet.

As for the head bearings, your right its a new bike with only 3,000 km on it. I may just go for a ride past the dealer and get them to check it quickly.

I didnt want to blame the bike cause i assumed it was more likely something i am doing wrong, but i guess i should get it checked out.

6. Also just remember a car will respond to a turn of the steering wheel, while a bike will respond to a turn of the handle bars, the lean of the rider and their weight distribution.

So it could also just be a problem that will go away with the more Kms you put down.
  7. add to this specific conditions
    like road camber, it will always pull you in to the trafficked wheelpaths.
    also different length wheelbase on the two different bikes, front end rake etc makes for subtle changes in handling and reaction to imperfections in the road.
    if it really concerns you, get someone to check the alignment of your front & back wheels. it takes bugger all time and trust me, it doesnt take much to knock them out a micron. (this is of course including suggestions above)
  8. May sound like a silly suggestion ........ except for the fact that I was actually doing this until it was pointed out to me ......... but not actually sitting squarely in the seat, meaning your body weight is more too one side of the bike? Made for easy left handers but a bugger on the right. Anyhows, just took someone to follow me to point it out - that & physically shove my bum over a bit :LOL: :grin:
  9. Yeah, maybe you're getting fat.......................on one side :LOL: :p
  10. Cheeky bugger, pardon the pun.