Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Maintainance Costs on a bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by magpies03, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Hey guys! ive been on this site for a while now and am about to go for my lerners and get my first bike. Just a quick question....once you have purchased the bike+gear+got your licence etc etc are bikes very expensive to maintain after that??? i.e petrol servicing etc does it cost much money or is the main part of the come when you first buy everything.

Only reason im asking is because i have a 33 gtst skyline and it costs heaps to maintain and i was just woundering if bikes are cheaper?

also do many of you insure your bikes? does it cost much? coz im considering not insuring it as im not intending on having a crash lol

Thanks guys seeya on the road soon:)
  2. it's likely to be cheaper than an R33, but unless you have a 50cc scooter or a small road bike on rock hard tyres and do the servicing yourself, they are more expensive to maintain than a car.

In general insurance is much higher, tyres per km are much more expensive, labour for servicing much longer.

As for petrol, depends on what you have and what you do with it. When commuting on my 1200, it uses 7.6L/100km. Not exactly better than a small car!
  3. Service/maintenance costs of a 250 are higher than most cars mainly because bikes need servicing far more often - but could actually cost less than something like an R33. Really depends on what you do yourself - if you're already doing your own work on your car then you should have all the tools/skills needed to service a bike. In most ways they're actually a lot easier to work on so if you don't even know how to do an oil change it'll be a good chance to learn.
  4. I've only had my bike for 3 months but I do whatever maintenance is necessary. If I don't know how to do something, I learn 'by doing' :LOL:
  5. I'd say, being totally honest, if you paid some to maintain your bike properly, it would be on a par with a 10 year old car.
    Insurance, tyres and the extra gear you need to wear eat into the cheapness of a bike.
    There are some bikes you might get away with very cheaply, but you'd have to do a lot of the work yourself.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Well for me the cost of running a bike is A LOT less than what it costs to run my car!

Insurance is 1/4 the price for the bike for a start.

Only just got my bike so i cant really comment on the cost of servicing, ive only had the 1000km oil change and found that to be quite expensive for what it was ($150) but compared to the cost of the oil change for the car ($240) its a lot cheaper!
  7. dont be a fool insurance is vital on motorcycles as clowns in cages will run you off the road you might not intend to crash doesnt mean you wont, inexperience often will result in a crash, plus if you get hit by a cage and you are fine but the bike is a mess if you are uninsuredthe other blokes insurance will screw you down, and worst case if he doesnt have insurance you could be royally screwed, if you have insurance , your insurance company will fix your bike up then chase the ignorant cagers that knocked you off for the costs better then trying to do it yourself...

but thats just my opinion
  8. what the heck are you comparing mate? a scooter against an LS2?

my R1200 costs about double to run what my 3litre camry costs. (and that's not including depreciation). Fuel is not the major cost, so it wouldn't matter if you had a 600cc either.

You aren't talking about TPP for the bike and comprehensive for the car are you?

(or a ferrari versus a 15 year old 15th owner, no straight or painted panel left xv125)

To compare in a general sense for other people you really need two vehicles with the same number of km put on them (similar age and finance if both under finance), paying someone to do servicing on both (or doing both yourself) and normalised for equivalent annual non recurring costs like registration and insurance. You could also go as far as to include depreciation if the vehicles are turned over in less than 5-10 years.
  9. Get insurance.

I didn't intend on having an accident either... One month after I got my bike I did.
  10. Haha a skyline and a bike. You must like being broke! :shock:

Seriously though it will cost you as much for a bike as it does for an average car. Is it really nessesary for you to have two "toys", the skyline and the bike?

I don't know your circumstances so you may be planning on buying a cheap small bike for commuting to save costs on your skyline. In that case it would be a different story.
  11. The bigger the bike the more cost to run, generally speaking.

Insurance is a good idea, no one INTENDS to have a crash, sometimes they just happen.
  12. For all intents and purposes, they work out to be near enough to costing the same as an average car.

At least get 3rd party, fire and theft coverage. Bikes are alot easier to steal than a car. Also, only opt for this if you are prepared to lose all the money on your bike, in the event of a hit'n'run. (it does happen - and CAN happen to YOU)

If you can't afford to have 2 cars, then I don't think you can afford a car AND a bike.

- My 2c.
  13. Petrol cost - cheap
    Service cost - more expensive than a car.
    Tyre cost - less km and more expensive

Unless you spanner it yourself, service is the biggest component.

But if your bike is also your daily rider, and you cant afford for it to be off the road for 2 or more days, this avenue may be closed to you.

Any work you do yourself is likely to take longer than a mechanic will take, and will usually invlove rushing out to get another tool of some description.

We ride because we can, not because the figures add up on a spreadsheet.
  14. I find my bike cheaper, but my car is a fairly modified 4wd. Insurace is cheaper on the bike, due to the state of modification of the car :grin: So the bike tends to get more use as its more practical. Being a mechanic by trade i do all my own work, though the bike has so far been pretty reliable, so if it plays up that opinion may change. I love riding, but part of buying my bike was to take the load off my 4wd for daily driving and general cruising round.

How modified is you skyline? A few of my mates have heavily modified jap imports, and i rekon a bike would be lineball, if not better, overall. This depends on a few things, like how you drive, how old you are etc.

15. No not a scooter v's a LS2

A VN250 v's a 6cyl BMW

Here is an idea on what it costs to keep the car running.
    $75 for 750km's on fuel, will only run on PULP
    Oil service ..... $240+ ..... done at least twice p/a, bike is / was $153
    Inspection I service ..... $500+ ..... done once p/a
    Inspection II service ..... $750+ ..... done every second year
    Other servicing like transmission, diff, brakes, A/C that arnt apart of any normal service
    Insurance ..... $1200 p/a rating 1 over 25 full comp, bike is $356 full comp p/a
    These are just the basic costs that dont take into account the cost of things that break over the course of the year or general wear and tear on tyres, suspension etc.

Not everyone has a car that is as cheap as a Camry to maintain. :)

As others have said it depends on alot of different things, your age, what bike you get, how much it costs to currently service your car now etc etc.

I will stand by what i said the first time, "the cost of running a bike is A LOT less than what it costs to run my car!"
  16. I have a petrol Pajero, vs. running my Monster. We'll work on 15,000km a year, which is probably what I'd do for normal commuting plus a few trips, nothing huge.

Bike wins on economy but it's 91RON vs 98RON, so there's less of a saving there. Looking at $1.25 for 98RON average over the last year, vs. about $1.15 for the Pajero. 13L/100km for the Pajero vs. 5.5L/100km for the Monster.
    Car: 1950L @ $1.15/L ~ $2245
    Bike: 825L @ $1.25/L ~ $1030

Bike tyres, probably get 7500km out of the rear, double that for the front. Sportbike tyres, so budget about $800 to replace two rears and one front. Car tyres, get 80,000km out of a set for $800.
    Car: 5.3 years to wear out $800, i.e. $150/year
    Bike: 1 year to wear out $800, i.e. $800/year

Guess this is going to hurt due to being a Ducati. 1.5 services in a year, really. Minor (10k km) is ~$400, $800 for a major. Call it $800/year servicing. Car is also 1.5 services, but at $120/service (if I pay someone) or about $60 if I do it myself.
    Car: $200 a year
    Bike: $800 a year

Other consumables
    1/3rd of a chain and sprockets set on the bike = 1/3 of $500 ~ $170
    Half a set of pads on the bike in a yar = $120 (~OEM)
    1/3 of a set of pads for the car = $90 (I use expensive pads, it's a heavy-arsed 4wd)

Bike is $900/year
    Car is $550/year

Car is $800/year
    Bike is $450/year

Grand total
    Car: $4035
    Bike: $3920

So, in summary
    If your car is expensive to serivce, has high insurance, runs sporty tyres and wears them out quickly, you'll find most bikes, even litre sportsbikes, will be comparable.
    If your bike is expensive to service (like a Ducati) and you have a car that's cheap to maintain service wise, doesn't use heaps of fuel, and is easy on tyres, only commuter bikes or 250s will be cheaper.

My car only just sneaks home more expensive because of the fuel cost. If I ran a medium sized car, or even a Forester... the bike would be more expensive.

I ride a bike everyday because
    * I enjoy it
    * I get to work on average 10 minutes faster each way, due to lane-splitting goodness
    * It's something to look forward to when I leave work.

Only get a commuter bike if you want something cheap to run. Otherwise, you do it for the fun.

Being *slightly* cheaper, which can go either way with a small drop or a parking accident in the car, or breaking something, is a bonus of riding.
  17. To-ma-to/tom-a-to

Wait until you upgrade.
  18. Factor in intial cost, and will probably find you have more money in your pocket at the end of each year with the bike.
  19. Well, maybe I'm unique in owning a car that was considerably cheaper than my bike :).

EDIT: In fact, the car has lost about $4k on what I paid for it, over 3 years. It's about the same as my GSXR750k3 lost over the same period, but I bought it in the crate and cheaaaaap. If I'd gone to a normal dealer rather than getting an unrego'd one in a crate sans prepurchase etc, I'd have lost about $6k over 3 years.

The equation changes for a 250 or learner bike, because they hold their value (fairly) well, even if you buy new (and probably lose at worst $3k). Modern sportsbikes, some tourers, etc etc... they're going to cost about the same to run as a car, unless it's an usually expensive car to run in a few ways (fuel, insurance, rego, servicing, tyres pick at least 2 for it to be more expensive than a bike).
  20. For some people it's worth taking parking into account. If I was to park my car at work/college it'd cost me almost $600/year, but I can park a bike there for free.

Also, as I do all my own work on the car and the bike, having one of each means I don't get stuck with having to pay someone to fix something quickly to get it back on the road - I can use the other and take my time to figure it out myself (I'm still learning).

That's how I justify the cost of having both (and it works), but the real reason is I have the 4wd because I like being able to call up a group of friends and go bush bashing on a friday night, and I have the bike for the same reason everyone else here has one.