Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Main Stand

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Renee_AW, Sep 8, 2008.

1. I have a Kawasaki GPX250 Ninja (2006) which weighs 148kg dry. I weigh about a third of this and just don't seem to be able to get it on the main stand.

I have tried to put it on the stand using the grip near the back of the bike as explained to me & described in the owner's manual but I just don't have the strength.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how I could achieve this as I am nervous about not being able to.

2. #2 matressking, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  3. just takes time man.

i couldnt get my bolwell jolie on the centre stand the first time!!!!

4. OK
    The trick is not to lift the bike onto the stand but rather use your foot against the stand to push the stand forward under the bike. Does that make sense?
    You do lift at the same time but you dont put much effort into that, most of your effort goes into pushing the stand with your foot.

Get it right and its not a back breaking effort at all

5. The effort required varies from bike to bike (design) and the size of the bike is in no way indicative of the effort required but the principals are the same. :wink:
    Push down with your foot more than lift with your hand.
    With the GPX/ZZR you will need to be wearing decent shoes/boots as the push area is quite small. I can do my 230kg bandit bare foot and have even seen it done whilst sitting on my seat, but not by me.

6.  Top
  7. Ha haaa....I do go to the gym & try to build muscles....pushups on my toes are my new challenge..20 so far!!! Thanks for the thread.

I am going to go home (after the gym) and try putting my bike on the main stand!

8. Press the stand down with your foot until it touches the ground, then carefully check that both feet of the stand are touching the ground. Stand on the stand - voila!

9. THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you everyone. I can't believe how easy it is to use the main stand when you know how.

My problem was that I wasn't holding the stand down firmly enough with my foot to have the confidence to let the bike stand up straight & be on both sides of the stand. When I put on my boots, pressed the stand firmly & put the bike on both legs of the stand...it just popped up...at least that is how it felt.

Thank you for your advice.

10. try this too...
    put the stand to the ground..with both ends touching it...then push the bike a lil towards the back, while holding the stand there...to hold the stand there u have to give a lil effort in pushing the stand to the front.
    if u master this, u can put your bike on the main stand even when u r sitting ON the bike :p

11. I never use the sidestand on my zzr, It took a couple tries to get used to how the centre stand works but as you say, once you know how, its really quite effortless. Its all in the foot really.

12. My feat don't reach the ground when the main stand is on....I am like a kid on a swing!!!

Thanks for the advice...I might try it anyway with someone holding the bike so I don't drop it.

13. i like taking off from the centre stand on my gn..

just gotta make sure as soon as the rear wheel hits the ground ur ready to go!!

14. Congratulations! Now all you need to complete your motorcycling education is the use of the kickstarter. Then the Ducati 450 left sided kickstarter, then the BMW transverse kickstarter, then......

15. hahaha...thanks!

I have used a Postie Bike kickstarter...does that count?