Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Maiden Voyage: Honda Shadow

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by ShoveLhead, May 23, 2005.

1. G'day guys, well I ducked off to the RTA at lunchtime and passed the Driver Knowledge Test and got the "R" stamped on the new licence. Man was I stoked!! There was still some sun out so I was like "hmmm... go back to work? Or a quick fang..." it didn't take me long to choose the latter...Anyways since the RTA is only 5 minutes away, I drove home, donned the gear and fired it up...realizing that the bike is twice the size than the bikes at the course, I remembered to take it easy...

After taking off, it was exactly as if I was at the course...everything...the bike handled great (for a cruiser) and I was turning corners and braking before turns without any hassle...

There I was cruising along fancy free at 50-60km/h with the biggest smile on my face and watching for everything on the road when all of the sudden the bike starts shuddering violently...I'm like "no worries, i'm in 3rd and starting to go up a hill... " shift to 2nd and it dies....

I decide that panicking is out of the question so I indicate and pull over, the car behind me gives me plenty of room... (must be a bike rider too...although he would've pulled over ;) )

Anyways after looking around for a bit, not only did I find the choke fully engaged, I find that the fuel tap is in the "OFF" position...

DOH!

or is that Duh?

Anyways that mistake won't happen again, and it was an awesome experience to ride your very own bike with your own licence for the first time on the road... It was very brief though (15 mins) since I had to go back to work... Since the clouds were forming, I decided to put the bike back into the shed and take the cage.

Remember the tap!! For those of you who are as silly as me...

Cheers