Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Magic Lantern (EOS firmware upgrade)

Discussion in 'Non-Bikes' started by jd, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Couldn't find any mention of this in the forums so thought I'd post it up in case it's of use to anyone else using a Canon EOS.
    (Credit goes to Loz for making me aware of it through his Gizmag article)

It's additional software that boots off the memory card when the camera starts up and adds a host of new features missing from the standard firmware. Obviously if you're the sort of person who leaves their camera on auto most of the time and never does any post-processing then this is probably not going to be for you - especially given the slight risk of stuffing up the camera.

For more serious users though this does add a lot of very useful stuff, and although most features are only functional in movie/live view/remote operation mode they can nonetheless be quite handy for setting up a shot prior to switching back to normal shooting. Haven't had a chance to really test it out but the ability to highlight under/overexposed areas, focal areas, and having a permanent magnified window for focusing are all going to be very useful for me. I'm also quite interested to try out the automatic HDR bracketing and ability to overlay ghost images on a new shot for lining up panoramas (or in my case composite microscope images). There's also supposedly improved exposure settings, which I'm hoping might eliminate the remote programmable shutter and mental math I rely on now.

There's also a heap of stuff for improving audio recording, which although no use to me looks like it'd be pretty useful for anyone using an EOS for movies.

As I mentioned the software itself lives on the memory card, so it is actually possible to keep it on just the one card - with the camera reverting to it's normal firmware when you use any other card. The software also includes the ability to remove itself fully from the card/camera.

Best part of all - it's free. Though if it is something that it useful to you only fair to send them a Paypal donation through their website to make sure that stuff like this continues to be developed into the future.

Of course I'm all excited because I've only just found it. So I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's been using it for a while whether it is genuinely useful or just becomes inconvenient.
  2. I didn't know about this project. I've used CHDK on the old Canon Powershot series and was waiting for 550D support but it wasn't around last time I checked so I gave up. It seems this alternate development has it.

I look forward to exploring it. Thanks!
  3. Sounds pretty interesting, what camera are you using it with? quick squiz at the website makes it seem like a biatch for my camera (7D) but i would be keen to play with it once they make it easy to work on mine.
  4. 60D, and seems to work perfectly so far.

7D support was only added very recently, so might be a little while before they sort it out fully. Ironically the article that made me aware of this software was on that very topic:
  5. G'day everyone,..

Awwww Crap!

Looks like its not available for my EOS1000D.

Dr who?