Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Made in Japan - be proud of it

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jphanna, Feb 4, 2015.

1. If you were a kid in the 70’s and you had an object with ‘MADE IN JAPAN’ on it…chances are you were stirred up by your friends. It could be the car that your mum dropped you off at school with, or a toy or an electronic appliance. Whatever, you were ridiculed and the term ‘JAP CRAP’ was not uncommon back then.

In 2015…..MADE IN JAPAN has a whole new meaning.

Quality
    Design
    Strength
    Innovation
    Style
    Durability
    Synchronicity

Today I have removed one out of 2 objects that are made in ‘other’ provinces of Asia. My Wife’s HYODUNG is next on list. I had 4 motorbikes so far, only 2 were MADE IN JAPAN, and they never let me down. My 3rd bike , like my wifes HYODUNG , was in 100 pieces in a workshop not long after I bought it. My 5thh mbike since 2010, will adorn this sticker on it. MADE IN JAPAN. It will be a Honda. I will take of pic of it and put on this forum when it happens. I may even get a tattoo of the red Japanese flag on my forehead…..

2. Yes I can remember those days as well, when Japanese meant cheap and unreliable. It is a credit to their culture and industriousness that it has become a byword for quality now. Their principle of Kaizen or continuous improvement has meant that problems are fixed, issues tracked and improvements made. Ironically it was a manufacturing technique brought to Japan after the second world war as part of American industrial re-training. The Training Within Industry Program of the 1950's. The Japanese have made it their own though.

3. Japan, making the best bikes no one wants to own.

Mind you, there's enough old z's and gs's on the road that they can't have been all that crap.

4. The 2014 Sales figures would tend to dispute you. Top 4 sales are Japanese.

Honda 17,261
    Yamaha 13,954
    Kawasaki 7,888
    Suzuki 6,919
    Harley Davison 5,967
    KTM 5,500
    Polaris 3,893
    BMW 2,203
    Triumph 2,074
    CF Moto 1,607

• Like Like x 3
  5. Isn't the new sales line something like "Styled in Milan, made in Pakistan!" :sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Weird. I saw a very different list. In fact discounting the ct110, in my list harley came first. hmm...

right, roadbikes.

Roadbike Australian Motorcycle Sales by Brand

1. Honda 9011 +0.1%
    2. Harley-Davidson 8577 +4.4%
    3. Yamaha 5290 +32.6%
    4. Suzuki 3017 -19.7%
    5. Triumph 2855 -5.7%
    6. BMW 2639 +25.7%
    7. Ducati 1988 +12.2%
    8. KTM 1448 +55.9%
    9. Hyosung 979 -1.3%
    10. CF Moto 576 -27.9%

2000 of honda's 9000, ie, 23%, were ct110.

7. New Jap stuff these days is usually bulletproof! Cars, trucks and motorbikes.
    People say they lack character or soul. Ride an MT09 and tell me it has no character or soul!

8. Pretty certain that not all Honda motorcycles are manufactured in Japan. Also, those sales are pretty rubbery considering they incorporate al the CT110 sales to Australia Post.

9. Those figures cover posted look like Aussie numbers. Maybe Harley came in first world wide? Dunno
    I haven't got it on me right now but the last issue of acmn Australia had some sales figures from 2014 in different categories and the japs topped most of them.

10. The day will come when they'll be saying the same thing about "made in Korea" and "made in China".

but-it-is.

11. Discount the ct110s and Yamaha still in front.

12. Roadbike Australian Motorcycle Sales by Brand

1. Honda 9011 +0.1%
    2. Harley-Davidson 8577 +4.4%
    3. Yamaha 5290 +32.6%
    4. Suzuki 3017 -19.7%
    5. Triumph 2855 -5.7%
    6. BMW 2639 +25.7%
    7. Ducati 1988 +12.2%
    8. KTM 1448 +55.9%
    9. Hyosung 979 -1.3%
    23% of honda sales were ct110. Honda, wings on the side....

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries 2014 report.

14. My list is roadbikes from the same report.

15. Unit sales figures are somewhat misleading because the Japanese manufacturers are over represented in cheaper and learner motorbikes (which have a lower $ value) and euro and US manufacturers sales are made up of lower numbers of higher value machines making the true $ volume of sales closer than your chosen statistic implies.

For example the top selling motor bike in Australia was the Honda CT110 (2166 units) and other high selling 'motor bikes' were the Honda CRF50F (1443 units), the Yamaha TTR50 (1078 units), Yamaha PW50 (790 units).

And even if we ignore postie bikes and mini bikes, the best selling Japanese motorbikes are 'Learner Approved' motor bikes like the Ninja 300 (2146 units) and the Honda CBR500R (1503 units).

Sales of large motorbikes have in recent years moved away from the Japanese manufacturers and towards alternatives like BMW, Ducati, HD and Triumph.

Although the Yamaha MT-09 is doing well probably because it manages to be fun and yet still different to the same old 'super sports' bikes that have been done to death over the last 20 years.

16. You need to go back a lot further than the 1970s to find inferior Japanese automotive and motorcycling product. In 1967 the Toyota Corolla made any British car, most European cars and ALL Australian cars look positively junk by comparison. In 1964 the Honda S600 sports car had a four cylinder OHC engine with four carburettors; the 1964 Holden didn't even have a heater as standard and the 1964 MG-B was a wheezy four-cylinder iron lump with only a fruity exhaust note to commend it.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Korea I agree with you, already most of the worlds ships are made in Korean shipyards. I am less certain about the Chinese. Having worked with Chinese manufacturing there is a cultural problem they have to overcome. That is that if they can make it cheaper they will. They seem culturally unable to stick to specifications and shave a millimeter here, a cheaper alloy there. The items you get delivered may be fine but then gradually the quality wastes away so their margins improve. Sort of the opposite to Kaizen it is continuous deterioration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. THE single most unreliable car I ever had the misfortune of having to be driven around in was a 1967 Shovel Nose Corona! Yes the early corolla was good but there were still plenty of Japanese crud around in the 60's.

Even in the 70's there were horrors like the Datsun 120Y (which superseded the nice Datsun 1200) and the Datsun 200B. Which was the bottom of a high point that started with the Datsun 1600, fell to the Datsun 180B and crashed as the 2008).

I'd argue that the Japanese didn't really hit consistent home runs until well into the 80's.

19. My CBR500R (as well as X and F range) is made in Thailand...

I'm not sure with bikes but it's like cars. VWs are made in 4 countries outside of Germany. German brand though apparently???

20. The LAMS market segment is highly lucrative. Companies place high importance on cracking this part of the market for obvious reasons. I wouldn't discount those sales at all, in fact I'd say they are as important as the large motorbike sales. As for the small stuff like minibikes and posties. Yes they $$ aren't huge per unit, but they are selling big numbers of them. In terms of business it makes perfect sense to be diverse in this sense. I bet these jap companies that make all sorts of bikes are a heck of a lot more stable and profitable than brands like triumph, Ducati etc.