Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Macs...Now I get it

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cejay, Nov 25, 2008.

1. I got a new MB a few weeks ago. I went for the poverty pack version with 160gb HDD, knowing I'd replace it soon.

With new Seagate 320GB 7200RPM drive in hand I commenced the change over last night. First off, use 'Time Machine' to make a backup to my 500GB portable drive.

To replace the HDD on the new MB is the simplest process. One latch to remove the battery cover, one small screw removed from HDD retainer and lift out. Insert new drive. Replace screw and battery cover. Done. Less then 2mins.

Now reboot unit, insert Mac OS DVD (supplied with unit). Partition drive using the disk utility that loads from the DVD. Click the 'Continue' button to install the OS and leave for 30mins for the OS to install.

The next part is what makes it so easy. At the 'Setup' screen (this is a new install after all), you have the option to import settings, applications and data from a Time Machine backup. Click to select and then leave for the time it takes to restore your data (30mins for mine).

And that's it. Done. No friggin around looking for recovery media, understanding Vista backup, reinstalling 3rd party apps. No licence keys required, no errors on boot.

I know ALL of this is possible with Vista, but this was so easy. I was expecting to have to reinstall apps, recover data. Not having to do any of that was a massive bonus.
  2. Yeah its great. I've done the same. It used to be even easier when install media wasn't tied to a specific model (back in the early 2000's).

No ugly BIOS (its all open firmware or EFI). No dealing with activation, WGA, CD Keys etc. No need for (most) drivers.

However you do pay for the privilege.

Apple has improved credibility in my books when they added proper graphics to the macbook, instead of the shitty intel GMA.
  3. Sometimes it's worth paying that little bit more when thing *just work*.
  4. There's certainly a few frustrations when dealing with macs, but for every difficulty there's a dozen things that 'just work' like that.
  5. That's some pretty impressive computer speak there, Cejay :) Just understood enough to work out that things went down easy for you on your new Mac, so that's cool.

Everyone knows the Mac guy's cuter than PC, anyway :wink:
  6. Hmm, and that's the key. You need to balance whats important to you. For those who want / need things to 'just work', and can afford to spend a little bit more to get a little bit less performance, Macs are a great way to go. And I must admit to being frustrated by the crappy software and occasional 'driver conflicts' that I get on my PC. :(

However, I built a machine for <$1,000 and I'm (right now) editing High Def (1080p) video on it. Want the same in a mac? $3,000 please...

I tell you what tho, I DO wish Mac would write software for PC's... :roll:

Glad you're enjoying your computer mate! :grin:
  7. Welcome to the light
    Do not stray back to the dark side,
    just install parallels or vmware and use it when only necessary. :p
  8. + a few billion :grin:

I went Mac and doubt I'll ever go back.
  9. Absolutely, they're not cheap. But so far I'm having fun appreciating and learning the differences. I have another laptop for Vista stuff which I'll blow away and put Vista 64 or 2008 on.
  10. Or you know, you could be running linux and do this:

- Shut down for the first time since installation
    - Plug in new HDD in secondary port
    - Start it up again
    # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
    - Shut it down again
    - Swap drives around
    - Boot it up, and voila, every _exactly_ as it was before just on a new HDD

N.B. By using a Linux boot CD you can do this for windows disks too, dd doesn't care about the partition formats, just the ones and zeroes on the disk...
  11. You *may* have to play around with the block sizes and the boot records... but yes the above method will work. I guess where cejay is coming from is he not once had to read a man page, he just had to click next a few times...

Don't get me wrong, I run with the penguin whenever I can. But I have respect for apple.
  12. mac owners need not delude themselves that these tools are unique.

my personal IBM shipped with similar backup software,

the HP's we use at work have a similar tool,

the Toshiba I use in the field has a similar set of tools

(yes they all cost a little more than a home-built system as well, but you're not selling your soul to apple, the biggest bunch of trend-whores that ever there was.)

13. The problem with windows is that it has to be written to support all those different machines that are going to be running it and it's simply impossible to get it working well on all those machines. At some times and on some machines with some hardware combinations you *will* have trouble.

OS X is written to run on a few variations of machines and the software/hardware company is the same one, that makes it easier to do well and we end up with a more stable Operating System.

I love my iMac and my Al MacBook but I still use my quad core windows box for playing games... horses for courses.

I will say this though... OS X has a much more polished feel than Vista.
  14. You might read the part where I said "and I know Vista does ALL of this..."
  15. Can you restore a Vista system from Vista Backup without having to restore the applications individually?

Do you also know how bleeding hard it is to make a new, full backup with Windows Vista? If you want to make a new backup, the system will automatically just assume you want to do an incremental. If you want to wipe that backup set, you can't (well, not easily). If you lose your original backup drive, tough. The system will think that it only needs to do a partial backup. To get over this, you have to use the CLI and use an unsupported (on Vista) Windows 2008 command to delete the backup catalogue from whatever location Windows stored it. Not friendly at all.

Want to reinstall an OS on an HP....not fun at all. From memory, their drives are not standard 2.5 inch devices and have some unique stuff on them. Some HP's don't even ship with all the media, instead relying on the recovery partition to perform a restore. Don't have the recovery partition when you've sent the unit in for repair. Good luck. Then they add layer after layer of bloatware with their standard install.

I am not an evangelist for Apple, the MB was my first foray into their OS World, but so far, it's been great. And to have a company actively encourage their users to upgrade their RAM/Memory without warning after warning about how you'll destroy the World by doing so is positively good.
  16. For my last dev machine I was looking at the Mac tower or an equivalent PC tower with the same grunt. The difference in price was less than $200, so I went Mac. There are a couple of things that annoy me, but by and large it is a fantastic machine. I'd happily stay with Mac until somebody comes up with a better option.
  17. im not even talking about vista.
  18. It is priceless when mac's do their spilling ball of death way of loading things (aka crashing).