Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

M2R "TT COMP" helmet first impression

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by TheForgotten, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ok, before I start, this isn't my helmet. My Shoei is at the doctors for a warranty inspection, and the shop (props to Mark and Des @ Team Moto Virginia) organised this loan skullbucket so i could keep moving.
    Anyhoo, I've only travelled maybe 10km in it, so this really is a first impression.

Orright, I'll stop dribbling now.
    First thing I noticed was it only has 2 vents, one on the chinbar and one on the forehead. And they're seemingly decorative. the visor fogs up worse than my old Rjays. I need to feel air movement, and the only way to feel that with this helmet is to have the visor up a notch. Yep, I'm weird like that.
    Then there's the visor itself. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but the pivot feels more notchy than it really should, and the visor doesn't close properly if you use the finger tab, it sits lopsided. Slamming it might work though. Or maybe it just needs to bed in

Next we move onto the liner. Setting aside it being new out of the box especially for me, the liner feels very plush, but also feels kinda cheap, like it will deteriorate ahead of its time. The ear cutouts are shallower than my Shoei by a fair bit, but they feel uneven; one side sits almost ON my ear, the other has a gap, and the sound difference between the two sides reflects that. For the most part, I wear either in-ear headphones or earplugs, so that one's not much of an issue for me, BUT, there's a ridge where the top part of the liner starts, and that catches the very tops of my ars, folding them down. Not a huge issue for most, but due to past ear problems I'm very fussy about stuff like that. It gets painful very quickly.

The double D ring strap feels cheap too. The D rings themselves feel like they needed the edges ground down slightly. They're not sharp, but it does feel like the ribs on the strap catch on the way through.

On the whole, perhaps I'm used to my middle-class Shoei (XR1100) but I'm not convinced I'd buy one of these. Long term use would likely see me taking it out the back to test home made explosives.
    It's not outright crap, but it really strikes me as an entry-level lid, something you'd buy just to get riding, but wouldn't keep a year.
  2. It is an entry level helmet.. well if you consider $99 entry level and not SUB entry level :p