Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

M2R 901 flip up helmet review

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Ghibli, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Hi guys
    following a request from fellow Netrider member ccris, below are my impressions re: the M2R 901 flip up helmet I recently purchased.

I had the helmet for about 3 weeks now, and so far no problems with it. The primary reason for the purchase was the excellent fit on my melon. This said, heads come in different shapes, and what is good for me may not necessarily be for you. I tried it on, it felt great and I was already ready to buy it. The price, $150, is also a plus if you are mostly broke like me. Keep in mind, however, that you get what you pay for, don't expect to gget what you would get by dishing out $500 to $1000.

The helmet comes only in full colours (white, gray, black, red), so if you are after flaming graphics you won't be happy. Also, the air vents on top and front are cheap and plastic. On then plus side, the padding inside the shell looks and feel very good, and the chin strap has a button to clip after passing the straps in the metal rings. Vision is very good, but the noise increases noticeably once you reach 100Km+. Flip up part is excellent, no problem with putting on my sunglasses and closing it again.

All the reviews I have read about this helmet have been good to excellent, except one (this guy in the US had a horror time when the screws holding flip up part and visor loosened, and the flip up fell off when he was at a traffic light!). Also, aesthetically the helmet looks larger than others when I wear it = head looks bigger, but I see that as an advantage (big white helmet more noticeable by cage drivers).

All in all I am very happy with it. Remember, make sure you try it on first if you are thinking of buying it.
    Good luck
    The gap between accepting things the way they are and wishing them to be otherwise is the tenth of an inch difference between heaven and hell.
  2. Thanks Ghibli:
    Interesting that the Snell testing crowd in the States haven't released any testing of flip ups. All reviews mention the increased noise level to the normal full face helmets, hence ear plugs a must.
  3. As a contrast, my old Nolan flip-up was - by far - the quietest helmet I've ever owned. Go figure.
  4. And mine is the loudest! But still, I love it to bits and my next lid will be the N102E.
  5. N102 is LOUD - but very comfortable and I pretty much always wear the earmolds with speakers :cool: while riding on the road.