Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lurker in the shadows

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by lightassassin, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I'm Ben, 22 year old from Brisbane. I went and did Q-Ride in June and got my full opens. I took the full course even though I have previous experience, 3 days with Warren from SmartRide who I may add is a great guy and very helpful.

I've been lurking around here for awhile (feb) and signed up (last week??) and finally have decided to post. I've been interested in bikes since a young lad but unfortunately my father met my mother via his bike accident (her being a nurse). He was hit by a cop car and ended up fairly broken see broken leg, gravel rash scrubbing the bone etc.... (I'm suspect on his gear though) So I have heard nothing but "Don't do it!" since I was born.

I've moved away from cars recently, previous ride was a 1993 Nissan R33 GTS-t. I loved my car... though it seemed somebody else loved it so much they used it for fun and then burnt it :-( I was even a SAU member if anybody has noticed another young boy around here who use to drive a R33 GTR in Sydney and is now a netrider junky.

I had no issues getting my license, I have great balance from all my silly BMX fun as a kid, and when I could dirt bikes of my mates (living in whoop whoop ftw!), most recently I've been riding the pushy to lose weight. I've since been on a few bikes and currently am finding one to buy. My car is in the shop atm RWC stuff (being extra nice and getting tint for the next owner too), 1990 Corolla with a engine conversion to the 1.6L supercharged donk from japan, so I've been reading and researching like crazy. I have the cash for a good deal, but I'd rather sell the beast first.

Currently using my brothers military prep exercise to lose weight, currently 176cm and 100kgs (damn being a computer nerd, studying software engineering Yay!) Plan is 80-85kg as weight seems to mean a lot more than in cars. I'm fit but it just takes time to burn off the chub and keep it gone (doing it properly that is).

Going to post some more in the proper sections about bike selection and gear selection, although I've already learnt so much due to the great resources here and elsewhere (individual bike forums). I must say this is the best overall bike one for Australia I've found so far.

2. Welcome to Netrider, Ben. Get along to one of the coffee nights and meet some of the gang (you don't have to have your bike to turn up :wink:)
  3. Welcome to NR Ben!
    Plenty of threads here about gear selection, and you'll find many here willing to advise you regarding bike selection.