Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lurching, chain slap in slow corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Spotman, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Hi gurus,
    I'm having minor problems with slow corners and need some tips.
    Let's say I'm approaching a 90 deg left turn at an intersection with no traffic. I've got speed under control (prob a little too slow) and have changed down into 3rd or even 2nd (clutch is out).
    Am off the brakes and the bike is decelerating via engine braking.
    Tip into the corner, look through it and roll on the throttle.
    This where I sometimes struggle to transition the bike smoothly from decelerating to accelerating without a bit of lurch or chain slap.
    Any pointers?

2. How tight is your chain?
  3. maybe too high a gear. as well as the slack in the chain check the slack in the throttle cable.
  4. Interesting, I was thinking more a technique problem.
    Just had the bike serviced (1000kms). Now on about 1800 I think. I'll check the chain tension.
    Pretty sure the throttle cable is ok as I would think I'd notice it elsewhere?
  5. I can only tell you the problem I had, which sounds similar. In my case, it was due to having the engine braking going on too far into the corner. When I'm riding well, I have "positive chain drive" happening as I'm entering the corner. I don't mean acceleration, just drive at a constant speed. So all the braking is finished before the corner. When I'm riding badly, I keep slowing either by engine braking too long, or using the brakes too long, then throttle on to accelerate as I see the exit. This is too late, and can lead to lurching.

I have no idea if this is your issue, but maybe have a think and see if this might help you too.
  6. yep...sounds exactly right! Feels like I'm on the power too late. Comes from driving a car I guess. I'll have a go at getting some positive chain drive...
    Thanks Greydog
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Maybe just a stroke of the back brake during the transition to get the chain loaded up when it suits you.

Oh yeah, and what others said about checking your chain tension.
  8. Have a read of the 101 cornering series. Sounds like a basic throttle control issue, per GD's post, plus some chain tension/drive lash sloppiness.

Let us know how you get on.
  9. Thanks Rob. Agree with you there. I have re-read the first 101 especially regarding throttle control. Will take the long way home :) this arvo and focus on it. I think I'm rolling all the way off the throttle before the corner and losing chain tension.
  10. Answering my own question: quoted from noob 101..
    "You should reach the corner with a nice stable upright bike at a steady speed with a slightly open throttle so that there is positive drive."
  11. Sometimes our speed is somewhere between the gears, so slipping the clutch helps smooth it out.
    Your problem is fairly typical for inexperienced riders.
  12. when i started, and still on some intersections, i do this, provided i am moving to start with:

approaching the corner, change down to second (not all at once of course)
    getting closer to the corner apply brakes and pull in clutch
    shift to 1st (still with clutch in)
    roll around the corner, it helps if you havnt shed off too much speed.
    slowly let out clutch when you want to get back upright and moving

this helps with the jumpiness of first gear.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Don't always rely on a dealership to service your bike properly. It doesn't hurt to check these key things yourself but if you think something's wrong have another shop or expirienced rider give a second opinion before you attack it with the tools (I'm assuming your new to all this).

As for the chain slap it sounds like your spending too much time coasting and possibly too harsh on the throttle pickup.