Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lumley Insurance?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by mjt57, Jan 26, 2012.

1. A mate just bought a Ducati 1098. He shopped around for insurance. The original owner of the bike suggested an insurer called Lumley. So he called it.

He was quoted $330 for a 2008 1098 valued around $22k. Further, when listing accessories he included the Termi slipons which the fellow at Lumley didn't seem too concerned about.

In contrast, my 2000 Blackbird, worth around $5-7k costs me the same with Swan Maxirider. (RACV is nearly $700 - so much for it being a "club")

So, I have to ask the question; who here has insurance with Lumley and what is it like when it comes to claims?
  2. ahhh part of wesfarmers, man they are overtaking everything

for the people that dont know what wesfarmers owns, heres the list that keeps growing

Bunnings Warehouse, Coles Supermarkets, Bi-Lo, Pick 'n Pay Hypermarket, Coles Express, Coles Central, Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, 1st Choice Liquor Superstore, Officeworks, Officeworks BusinessDirect, Harris Technology, Kmart, Kmart Tyre & Auto Service, Target, Pharmacy Direct, HouseWorks, Curragh Queensland Mining, Wesfarmers Premier Coal, Bengalla Mining Company*, WFI, Lumley Insurance, Lumley Special Vehicles, Lumley General Insurance (NZ), OAMPS Insurance Brokers, Crombie Lockwood (NZ), Lumley Finance, Monument Premium Funding, Koukia*, Blackwoods, Protector Alsafe, Bakers, Total Fasteners, Bullivants, Wesfarmers Industrial & Safety NZ, CSBP, Australian Gold Reagents*, Wesfarmers Kleenheat Gas, Unigas*, Wesfarmers Kleenheat Elpiji, Wesfarmers LPG, Coregas, Air Liquide WA*, Energy Generation, Gresham Partners Group*, Wespine Industries*
    * Joint ventures
  3. my parents had a boat insured with lumley general insurance (this is going back 15 years)
    anyhoo the boat sank and the insurer basically said "yep you start the repairs while we do the paperwork"
    work was started, spare cash was spent and in the end LGI said get fu*ked we're not paying. take us to court.
    as i said, money had dried up
    over half a mil roughly in boat, dive gear (was a commercial dive boat) and personal effects of the owner and his family and 20 guests

that's a pretty extreme case i understand, but now they're owned by wesfarmers it's even more about more profit less expense
  4. man that would of been a tough time in their lives, arseholes
  5. i found swann insurance the cheapest for me
  6. Lumleys are very old school and easy to deal with, but are a little slow to act. No biggie, haven't had an issue dealing with them or seen anyone have issues. BTW, that quote is cheap as! I'm paying just over $800 with IMR. I'll certainly look at Lumleys later on.
    There has also been whisper Wesfarmers may take over IAG.
  7. Man their site sucks arse, can't find any mention of motorbikes or indication of pricing for anything
  8. Gurbachen, I filled out an online enquiry form.

This morning a rep called and we went over a quote. A premium for my 2000 Blackbird, no mods, no finance, rider waaaay over the hill, is $168.

Cazzo, if you're not insured with Lumley, then how are you familiar with it?
  9. I run a panel shop, so get to deal with pretty much every insurance company. Even though I harp on about how bad Suncorp is, I have my bike insured with IMR. It's for market value which more than I paid, so it's no biggie and I will invetigate Lumley's after those two quotes.
  10. Lumley's quote IS quite attractive. But, then I'm a natural born skeptic. You know, if something sounds too good to be true....

I was hoping that Netrider, having the wide range of motorcyclists, would have a few members who have had to deal with Lumley. I've never heard of it before, hence my reluctance, at this stage, to sign up with it.

I'll talk to Swann, advise them of Lumley's rates and see if can do anything to match it.