Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Luggage for a Gixxer

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Air490, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Having just moved up in the world (i.e. just bought a GSX-R750), I am now considering the best way to carry gear on it for weekends away. I'm not talking a huge amount of stuff, just enough gear for 2 nights.

I have considered both backpacks and tankbags, but would really appreciate some ideas and feedback from other rider's experience.

2. I've been thinking about the same thing and here's what i've come up with...

Initially i wanted a removable top box for the purpose of leaving my helmet and jacket while i'm at uni.

I was unable to get the rack fitted when i purchased my bike so they have lent me a ventura rack and bag.

I like the ventura bag... doesn't look as puncy as the top box will but it's a big fk off bag and i still have to lug the sht around uni (mind the language) i know i can get locks to keep it on the rack but that means, one lock to keep it on the bike and 3 small locks to keep uni scum mits outta my bag :) ... plus the bag doesn't turn into a back pack (i think some do tho??)

With the top box when i take it off - for those recreational rides - i only have a flat plate sitting on the back of the bike not a sticky-uppy ventura rack that looks a bit odd.

both will fit the same amount of gear. ventura bag isn't waterproof however and when the bag/box comes off.. i'm left with less thanks to the top box.

Rjays 45L top box is $165 on zpower.com and a flat plate will set you back about $230 prices on the ventura gear i'm not sure.

other wise you can always look into a tankbag. they use magnets to sit ontop of you fuel tank. And if your heading away for 2 nights i'd assume it's not a short commute and that way you can lay ontop of it down the high way ... mmm comfort :D