Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lucky escape

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by vahramh, Nov 25, 2010.

1. well, not really an escape, but at least both the bike and me are relatively unharmed...

I was riding down Marshall st in Ivanhoe about 8:20 this morning, a lot of traffic, about 50 km/h... Cars parked on both sides of the road, so only a single lane of traffic in each direction. Raining, wet and slippery.

All of a sudden one of the cars (looked like a Merc A-180) parked on the opposite side of the road noticed a small opening in his side of traffic, probably didn't look at our side, and initiated a U-turn. Basically he just stopped across the road about 15 metres in front of me.

I couldn't swerve left - not enough opening between the Merc and the parked cars. Couldn't swerve right - a wall of traffic coming towards us. All I could think of was hitting the brakes.

I should mention that I am not too experienced in emergency braking in the wet. I bet a better / more experienced rider would handle the situation better than me.

The braking went well at first, but then the rear wheel locked. I released BOTH brakes (in the hindsight should've released only the rear), and applied them again. The rear wheel locked again, and I went down (lowside), stopping about half a metre from the Merc.

I looked at the driver, he looked at me, and very quickly reversed / sped away.

Thanks to several drivers behind me that stopped, offered help, offered calling the ambulance etc. I got away with just a few bruises, the bike got away with just a bent pedal. I just got up and rode to work, the Yamaha workshop in the city is checking out the bike right now. I am just very disappointed with the Merc driver that could only think about getting away from the scene of an accident initiated by him!
  2. Rego number? and mobile number of at least one of the witnesses?
  3. sounds like a busy street. street cameras?

lucky you're okay.

what a prick.
  4. Sorry to hear about your off...Accidents bring out the best and worst in people...glad you're ok mate.
  5. Technically they wouldn't be chaqrged with anything because technically there wasn't a multiple vehicle accident. It was a single vehice accident. Next time you make sure you impact ith them somehow, without getting hurt of course.
  6. Thanks for your support guys, even though I was angry at first, I am not seeking revenge. If I had a recording of the incident I would send it to the police of course, but I don't have it and that's the end of it.

The lesson for me is - practice wet weather emergency breaking more. Let the Merc driver draw his own conclusions, I hope he'll pay more attention to the world around him next time.
  7. Good idea on the practice.

But I doubt the Merc driver has learnt anything as it didn't cost him anything. He'll just think a dumb arse hooning motorcyclist appeared out of no where, obviously speeding, and drive like he normally does.