Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lubrication Points at Service.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by wallyt99, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I know alot of us love to do our own service. I am the same, there are the standards we all do... plugs, oil, filter, chain lube, fluids....even brakes....

But one thing that I have never been sure how to do, or what exactly to do about is lubricating things like wheel bearings...and sterring bearings....and any other lubrication points. I think I am not alone in avoiding this when doing a home service.

If anyone can give a run down of the process that would be great! I am about to give my bike a Major myself, and I want to make sure I do it right.

2. Depending on your bike, you may find grease nipples eg. on suspension linkages if you're lucky. If you're even luckier, the previous owner has actually used them.

Wheel bearings are usually sealed and don't require additional grease. Steeing bearings, swing arm pivots, wheel spindles etc etc are basically just stuck with the thin smear of grease they got when they left the factory. If any.

Re-greasing all of these requires partial disassembly but it's well worth doing. They're not too hard jobs to do generally. Depending on the age of your bike the biggest problem might be getting the seized parts out in the first place.
  3. +1 to the above.
    Plus don't forget some of the easier lube points either - eg throttle/clutch cable, sidestand pivot, gear/brake lever pivots, etc. Simple enough but something a lot of owners often overlook.