Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lubricate chain (what / when / how) - plus another thing.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by PhilC, Nov 5, 2008.

1. First one's a quick question I hope. How often should I lubricate the chain on my bike. What should I use. Any tricks / tips / traps?

Also, had my first minor mechinical issue this morning, choke stuck on and wouldn't go off. I think it was stuck at the carby end, but since I was in a hurry I pulled the assembly on the hand grip off and used some pliers to push the cable back. It was extremely tight, and I wasn't even sure it had moved at the other end, but when I started it idled OK (though I think still a smidgeon higher than normal).

So the question. Should the cable to the choke be lubricated at all in any way? I'll go through the service manual when I have chance, but is it easy to remove the fairing and access where the choke meets the carby to check it's moving freely and lubricate if necessary?

Skill level (noob). I'm reasonably mechanically minded, but new to bikes. Whilst no mechanic I have done minor car repairs like thermostat, CV joints, filters etc.
  2. Yo PhilC! Do a search for chain lubing in here, you will find plenty!

Generally, everytime you fill up or when it looks like you need it.

Also do a google search for "pressure cable luber", & get your self one, very handy. All of you cable should be lubed regularly.

Hope this helps.