Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lube your chain once it leaves the shop!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by blackjacket, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Just need to vent a bit...

My bike has been in the shop for over a month for some panel work. I got it back and went for a loong ride (250k+), forgetting to check the chain. Midway through the ride, I looked at it and it looked dry.. they must have degreased it because I never let it dry. It wasn't getting warm so I thought it'll be fine till I get home.

So I went to lube it when I got home and there are a few rubber slivers sticking out of some O-rings. Looks like the chain's started munching the O-rings ](*,) The chain wasn't hot though..

Looks like I've signed the death warrant for this chain. After so many k's of meticulous lubing! gah.

2. check everything when its comes out of the shop
  3. How old is the chain and what's the bike ??

Sent iPhone
  4. Chain is approaching 10,000 k's old (have to check receipt from PO). Bike is a ducati 748 with the occasional wheelie thrown in. It's a 520 chain which I suppose is narrow by litrebike standards.