Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lube chain without a stand

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Huks, Jul 24, 2016.

1. :cool::cool:https://youtu.be/ViVPy4Z_Mjc

So I seen this on a Instagram vid and thought I'd try it out, the bike is a ninja 250 so it was light weight, I don't know how dangerous this is as the bike could fall on you.

Hope this helps for people who don't have a stand :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Or you could just roll the bike forward to expose a different section of chain as you spray.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I normally do that but thought I'd try something new.

4. Been showing the noobs without centre stands how to do this for years

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I personally plqce a block of wood under the side stand and then use a car jack under the swing arm on the opposite side.

Note...make sure you jam the front brake on to do it though. I use a cable tie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I don't have a centerstand so cleaning/ lubing the chain consisted of moving the bike up and down the driveway and takes forever. Don't forget to take that bloody chain guard off. (I forgot the first time I did it.....lol)

After that ordeal might as well of got a paddock stand off eBay for $40.....

7. Stuff eBay. Pick one up at Aldi when they come up again. Mine cost me $20.

8. Buy a paddock stand for goodness' sake!!!! You should park the bike at nighttime on it too!!

9. I gotta ask why you suggest park it on the paddock stand at night?

Edit: Only time I use the centre stand is for maintenance.

10. I'm a bit odd-fashioned and I liked to have the oil level in the sump when I started the bike cold. Plus a bike looks nicer sitting up rather than leaning over :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. When I've had an assistant, I've been known to rock the bike up on the sidestand so the back wheel is off the ground, and then let it idle in 1st gear while the assistant sprays the chain... I'm not sure I recommend it, but I have done it. What I normally did was spray a length of chain that was accessible, then move the bike a bit, spray the next section, and so on.

12. kneedragonkneedragon I've a mate with only nine digits on his hands from working on a bike idling in gear. Everyone knows one ;-) without incident it's a bloody time saver though haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ^ I had a ... an acquaintance once, rode a Bol d'Or, who was missing 2 fingers from a chain. His excuse, the bike was laying on top of him at the time and still ticking over in top gear, and the exhaust was a bit hot, so he put his hands up to 'bench press' it off, and got the right hand on the chain just near the back wheel...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fark...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. A 280kg bench press after a spill is pretty impressive tho...

16. LOL, yeah, he was a bit like that...

He also had a bike which looked stock, but it had a braced frame, up behind the steering head, and a set of cams and port job, and it was a really interesting bike to ride. Very educational. I had the same model, (minus the fairing) and it showed me that not all popular modifications are a good idea..

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. You don't have to lift it clean or maintain good form, you just have to kind of rock it, so a different bit of mangled bike is pointed downwards, then scramble out from under it. 2nd, Adrenalin is a wonderful thing. It is -kken amazing what you can do in a moment of pure panic.

It's also amazing what you can do when you know your life depends on it. I came to at the bottom of a cliff, at Dorigo, and realised I had broken ribs and and breathing difficulty, so I climbed an almost vertical cliff with 4 broken ribs and concussion and a deflating lung, because I knew if I just sat there and waited for help, it'd be a very long wait. I had a pretty good idea there would be very little visible evidence at the top that a bike had gone off at that point...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sounds like we're lucky to be talking to you mate. Was that the end of your riding career thus far?

19. LOL. Not exactly ... That was a bit before Easter in 1979... I'd ridden that Honda 400/4 supersports up over the ranges the day before, wearing a T-shirt, and then ran out of fuel a bit outside Dorigo, about sun-down. So I pushed the bike into town, and then learned that every place which sold petrol was closed until the morning. So I walked around Dorigo for 8 hours in a T-shirt, at 17, and tried not to freeze to death. Then in the morning I bought a full tank and headed off down the hill toward Coffs, without any sleep, in a rather poor mood, straight into the morning sun... This mind you, came about 4 months after that bike spat me off on the Newcastle Freeway on Christmas Eve, at just on $1.60 (which was exactly top whack) wearing a nylon windcheater and a pair of slacks. I still have two nasty big shiny spots on my arse from that...

20. If you're a moron like me, you can still do some damage without the engine. My usual routine is to clean the chain with my left while turning the wheel with my right. A few months ago I had a brain fart - either I forgot to move my left hand out of the way or the rag got caught on the sprocket, and the momentum of the wheel was enough to drag my thumb most of a tooth inside sprocket and chain.

The result:

WP_20160801_12_44_14_Pro (2).

Four months later, it's still not quite grown out.