Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

L's Test today any last tips?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by aus_dragon, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    Well today is the day! :LOL: Finally :p .
    I am going for the first of day of my two day L's Training this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any last minute gems of advice they could offer. Any common mistakes to look out for or any major do's or dont's. One thing I have picked up from other threads/stories is that the headchecks are really important so I will make sure I pay attention to that when they start talking about them.

2. Just have fun :)
  3. Wont be any problems there I been waiting for this day for 13yrs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . I'm like a giddy little school girl :LOL: :p :LOL: . I just hope I'm not that excited that I forget to pay attention :grin: :eek:
  4. Donr worry Nathan,
    There is no prerequisites, just dont go in with preconceptions and you should be fine.
  5. Make a point of relaxing your body repeatedly throughout the day. Without knowing it you'll tense up and your riding will suffer.
  6. Thanks for the tips guys I will let you know how I go :grin:
  7. Keep your head up!
  8. Well day one went pretty good :grin: . I didn't have any massive #$@% ups, didn't drop the bike or crash into anyone or anything.
    Instructor is really good, explains things really well and the reasons behind why we are doing the different tasks.
    Fingers crossed today goes just aswell and I should be heading upto the RTA tomorrow to do the DKT and get my new license :grin: :p :LOL:
  9. good luck aus_dragon....

I did my lessons this week and got my licence yesterday and boy is it a great feeling,

I was only really concerned at first about things like coordination for gear changes as well as remembering to indicate, but I got through them fine in the end.

The pointer I was given was to relax and enjoy the riding more than stressing about it and it paid off.

Now, off to test ride the bike I want...

Good Luck
  10. where abouts are you doing the course dragon?

i just completed mine last week out at clyde (stay upright?). was good fun and the jethro there is good "mirrors, headcheck and away we goooooooooo". hehe.

still haven't had time to sit the driving test but hopefully today. have you got a bike yet or still looking? im still in the market to buy. fingers crossed there's something good available this weekend.
  11. Well Done Tubby :LOL: , hopefully I will be the same as you tomorrow :grin: . Considering it is my 27th birthday tomorrow, it would be only fitting I think :grin: :grin: :grin: .

I was ok with the gear changing co-ordination etc as I have driven manual cars all my life (auto's are no fun :p ). The only thing I really had problems with was the slow manuvering :eek: which I started to get much better with by the end of the day :) . As everyone here would know, you feel so much better and stable when you have a bit of speed ie: 10-15km, that ment I could relax and feel lots more comfortable on the bike. Now I just have to feel like that at low speeds, I think I just keep expecting to lose my balance at low speeds so the brain starts over thinking everything :? . Dang brain I wish it you just shut up for once :LOL: :p .

Anyway aslong as I keep improving at the speed I did yesterday, fingers crossed I should be ok :? :grin: .

I will let you know how I go this afternoon.
  12. Hey cosmo, I am doing the course at Rouse Hill Stay Upright. I have heard lots of really good reports about the stay upright centres. Yeah the courses are really fun, the staff are very could instructors and make you feel alot less nervous about what you are doing. :grin:

No haven't got a bike yet but all things going well I might be out looking this weekend :? :grin: , I am probably going to go for a Honda Spada 250 cause they look awesome and I have found them to be quite comfy. I am kindda limited on budget so they still to be good bang for buck in the sub 3K price bracket. And less farinings to break when learning :p :LOL: .

How bout you got anything in mind?
  13. oh this is awesome! i just had my bike intro course yesterday and got such a kick out of it that i'm going for my learners this coming tuesday - you'll have to let me know how yours goes!
  14. Good luck, aus_dragon. :)

Lots of people find slowriding difficult, especially when they're learning... It's challenging, but the benefits of mastering the gentle art of riding s l o w are worthwhile.
  15. yes despite the fun i had yesterday, came away feeling rather stiff and tight, gf said that i was looking a bit tense,so it figures!
  16. I am on my Ps now and my advice is to relax! It is not a test, it is a training course. You have to be borderline retarded to not get the certificate, but if you don't, it is actually a good thing. The training course and lessons are dirt cheap and if they deem you to not be competent enough to ride on the road by yourself after the 2 day course, you know what? You get an extra FREE lesson!

My mate's little sister "passed" and she dropped the bike 4 times. Jethro from Clyde saw that she displayed sufficient skill to not hurt herself on the road so she got her certificate. Jethro, by the way, is an absolute legend. I was going to get my license on a scooter :oops: but Jethro convinced me to do it on a bike. This man literally changed my life!

Also, wear the gear they tell you to. Pants, long sleeve top and boots (not steel capped). They supply the rest.

The Ls training course is not rocket science. Listen to instructions. Let your brain be a sponge and absorb all the potentially life saving advice. The worse that could happen is you "fail" and you get free lessons. How is that bad at all?

Edit: Scooters are seriously lame and coming from someone who has ridden both scooters and bikes, scooters are more dangerous. Seating position is wrong, they (usually) don't have the acceleration required to get out of danger, wheels are generally smaller which is more dangerous and can't turn as much as a bike. Also, they might be fun but bikes are more fun. Final advice for getting a riding license: do it on a bike and leave yourself the option to ride a bike.

Edit 2: After reading some other posts, it seems other states have different laws. My comments above relate to NSW
  17. i had jethro when i did my Ls too. top bloke and excellent instructor.
  18. yes I agree with the whole Scooter vs bike.

I tried a scooter for a few minutes going at around 60 km/h and it freaked the isht out of me. I don't get how my legs aren't gripping on to anything and the seating position is absolute upright as if you're sitting on a stiff seat.
  19. Well day 2 went beautifully, and I passed with flying colours :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . I actually went to the RTA the very next day sat for my DKT and pased that with 100% :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . So i now have to find my bike YEAH!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  20. Congrats. :)