Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lowsided tonight

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mogley, Mar 7, 2012.

1. So i had the inevitable n00b get-off tonight taking a right turn at moderate speed and losing the back out of nowhere and just slid towards the gutter.

I'm fine got a bit of a scuff on my jeans and my k-legs got a small hole in it but otherwise OK. I was wearing full gear incl. A* SMX-5s except decided not to wear my knee pads out tonight because I wasn't doing any spirited riding but luckily the knee is fine. I'm glad I switched out into the boots, I had been doing slow speed practise earlier on and was wearing runners but last minute decided to change into my boots for the ride home...

The bike has a snapped front brake, scratched right fairing and exhaust for the most part. It was also my friend's bike (4 cylinder ZX2r) which is probably the reason why I had the off.

The night began with some slow speed work by both of us and then we went for a leisurely cruise as its quite a nice night out tonight. Had a ball, decided to call it a night but I decided to have a go on his ZX2r to see how it compares to my Ninja 250r.

Like night and day. The thing is a blast and sounds wonderful. I must admit i rode beyond my limits on some of the long stretches just to hear the engine spin up so i'm grateful that my get-off happened doing something low speed.

The rear tyre is almost bald and i think i underestimated the lean i could get on the right turn. I had been doing u-turns all night in my Ninja and the thing can dance and is overall just a confidence inspiring bike. I think that confidence and just being a n00b about bikes all added up to the low-side.

Lessons learnt:
    1. Always take it easy on someone else's bike. Even if its a simple right turn, everything probabaly played a part in the get-off, not only bald tyres but throttle, clutch, thinking its a well-oiled slick 2008 peice of engineering VS something that was built in 91 and rides a little sketchy...

2. Wear as much gear as you practically can.

3. You are not a Moto GP rider (even though the low-side was just doing a simple right turn, i'm sure my headspace wasn't in the right place.

Question: My k-legs have a small 5 cent sized hole in the shin area. I know i scratched that spot cause my jeans are torn there but i'm not bruised at all so i'm a little surprised its torn. I'm getting a little worried they may not be up to it in a proper slide? Also, is the 'integrity' of my k-legs compromised? If it was in the bum/knee area i'd be more concerned in case a proper slide just rips the kevlar in two completely but the shin area is pretty inconspicious.

That is all. :0
  2. Glad you're ok mate. It's a bonus that you learnt some lessons too :)

Sent via iPhone
  3. Glad to hear that you're ok and that you've learned some thing from it. Is that your first off?
  4. You forgot about number 0. Don't crash.

Noob crashes are NOT inevitable. Unless you think they are, in which case it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy...

Do you know why you crashed? Not just 'Oh I wasn't concentrating' The actual, physical events that caused the crash?

If you know this, you can avoid it next time.

Glad you're ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Glad you're ok, fronk brake handle wont cost much, paint on the other hand might, your jeans, if you are worried get some shin gairds and wear them undre the jeans, or sell them and buy a new pair.
    Good to see you learnt from the experience, and we all know temptation to 'test yourself' will always be there, you're only human :)
    Hope your friend is understanding about the damage done to his bike..
  6. Glad you're ok...
    Fantastic you learn't something.. (you never stop learning)

Please don't take this like I'm picking on you because I'm not but your first line is wrong...
    It wasn't moderate speed, you were going too fast for where you're riding is atm...
    How do I know this?
    Because you low sided...

There's no such thing as moderate speed because moderate speed cornering, turning, etc is different depending on a riders skill and experience..
    And experienced riders lookout for this well before they're there...

You haven't indicated why you came off only that "you lost the back out of nowhere"

Was it due to braking, throttle, crap on the road. etc all of which could have been avoided as you learn to look for and correctly determine your approach speed for you experience level..

I'm only trying to open your view on why this happened which you need to determine.
    Don't make the mistake of many who always blame tyres, road surface, debris, etc all of which experienced riders mitigate well before they get to any corner, intersection...

Anyone of us can and will make misjudgements out there so yeah, learn learn learn from every ride..

Cheers and keep riding..
  7. Glad you are ok!

With the jeans, the boots probably saved your shins. I don't think the kevlar extends all the way down there does it? More importantly, did the helmet take a hit?

I'm interested to hear how the slide happen as well if you don't mind me asking. Being a newbie as well, every bit of info helps. I've always thought the lean angles aren't really the issue but rather what you do during it and road conditions that is the worry?

How fast were you going and how much lean? Also was the road bumpy/gravel/dirt? Did you apply the rear brakes or too much throttle?
  8. You were riding a bike you were not familiar with, although this can be fun to do, are you experienced enough yet to be able to get on another bike & ride it well within yourself until you understand how it behaves??

Like the posts above state, not trying to be critical but you really need to understand what happened here & why, if you don't learn from it then all its done is cost you dollars & not added anything to your experience bucket..
  9. Low side from a rear wheel slip?? :-k It's possible but unlikely - you'd need a serious loss of traction or extreme lean angle, or a bumpy surface or you dragged the rear causing too much traction demand... but most rear wheel slips tend to result in a highside... What did your mate see?

Where was the spill?

What else do you know about the turn / intersection that might be useful the next time you come through?
  10. Thanks all for the replies and well wishes.

I definately did learn a lesson. All in all, whatever happened i knew the tyres were bald, i knew it wasn't my bike and i knew i was riding with my heart and not my head.

As for what i could have done to avoid it?

I think i'm otherwise a very careful rider and do my best to learn as much to keep myself safe.

But i do know myself to know that there are moments when the excitement gets the best of me. Knowing how to check that and ride within your limits is probably the most important lesson from it all.

My advice to other n00bs would be that there is that moment of truth when you realise you are no longer a complete n00b and you can actually ride. Your u-turns are tight and your clicking up and down gears in traffic, rev matching to a tee and altogether feeling pretty good.

It's at this point you are at most risk of doing something like i did. Being careless. Thinking you are better than you are.

Fear is no good but it's the one thing that stopped you from taking the corner way too hot and you just need to remember that.

Having said that, we ride for fun, well i do, and all the risk is for nothing if you're not having fun. Take it easy in the beginning, the more things become second nature, the more of your dollar you can spend on just enjoying it all.

As for the actual corner, I just remember leaning pretty far (i leaned this far on my Ninja around a round about and probabaly would have sc****d the rear peg if not for my Yoshi rearsets) and expected it to hold up like I had been doing all night except all of sudden it just sort of slid out from under me. I'm pretty sure it was the rear, not all rear slides end up in highsides unless it grabs traction again right?

11. Come to think of it the right turn has got a little bit of camber. Not sure if its positive or negative but the one which would make a right turn pretty sketchy.

I haven't taken it often on my bike to be honest, but i remember in my car it was always a pretty tight and unpleasant right hander.
  12. It takes around 5 months to get used to a new to you bike (according to hurt report)
    riding properly (you can tell because the bike feels like a part of you)
    took me about 3 years riding 15,000 km a year

newbies would take longer, pros much faster.

I don't know about these jeans if they are any good. Are they just normal jeans with pads or is the actual fabric made of kevlar?

jeans are no good for sliding = learnt this first hand
    next time you're in a car at 80kph think what you would like to wear if you had to jump out.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I slid in mine and there isn't a single mark on them. You cant lump all kevlar jeans in together.
  14. If you had a 1 piece MotoGP grade Astars suit on you would not have crashed.
  15. leather overalls are the shizit
  16. Good to see you thinking about how it happened... If you don't drill down to the actual cause, you'll never learn from it.

Your comment re over confidence is a major factor for aspiring noobs to recognise. One has to be brutally honest with oneself. Even if it's something you'd rather not say to others, as long as one can admit it to oneself.

Over confidence at the level you mention has brought many a rider undone.
    Glag you're ok. :)