Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lowering Yamaha TTR250 for a short rider

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by petrult, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Hi there
    Does anyone have any tips ideas on how to lower a Yamaha TTR250 2005 road/trail to suit a new rider 5ft 4inc tall, female, light in weight. I am looking at buying one and want to also use it for myself as well as my wife but I am 6ft. I have heard there is a lowering kit etc for them. We are not too worried about altering the performance of the bike as it is mainly for following our son on the tracks with his 125cc. Thanks :grin:

2. Not sure if you'll get it low enough, but the rear shock is height adjustable. The bottom of the shaft is threaded and you can rotate the bottom mount to raise or lower it.

You can also raise the forks in the clamps to drop an inch or so at the front.

If you need more drop, try http://www.koubalink.com/TTR250.html

They are based in the US but mail all over the world I think.

3. I too am short and have a TTR 250.

I found that you can cut almost 80mm out of the seat foam successfully.

To get on the bike, I mount iy like a cowboy on a horse and once on (with the suspension turned to softest and can get both feet on the ground.

I have just bought another bike and I am selling (reluctantly) my 2000 TTR 250 is now for sale.

PM me if you want some more info.

Jeff

4. Thanks for the replies, just got back from a motorcross meet and now definatley want the bike looks like a lot of fun! Will try the lowering options and try to get some tips on mounting/dismounting and stopping as she'll be fine once she's going but you have to stop sooner or later don't you!

5. Hi Jeff
    I have tried to PM you but can't as I am a new member, I have some further questions and am wondering if you have a current email as I tried your hotmail but it was returned back to me.
    Thanks
    Simon

6. email button at bottom of posts or jeff_kahler@yahoo.com.au

7. You should look into buying a lower seat.That way you wont be losing any performance in the suspension department.

8. yeah remove seat cover, trim down seat foam carefully with a large bread knife and re-staple seat cover back on, looks neat and can lower the ground clearance significantly.

9. Did you ask at your local motorcycle shop? :roll: