Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lowering Sports Bike.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by p53, Oct 21, 2008.

1. My wife is looking to upgrade her motorbike from a 250 to something bigger. However being 5 2" the problem is getting something which is low enough for her to comfortable ride.

She is keen on a naked sports bike, so does anybody know any which models have a low seat height, or how feasible is it to lower bikes and which models are suitable to lower.

2. Hi,

I can offer some advice here as i am only 5ft 2 also.
    I have an R6 and i have lowered this using a lowering link for the rear only.

You should "avoid at all costs" lowering the front if you can avoid it as it will throw out your geometry, and will not corner as it would at original height.

There are plenty of threads on peoples opinions on lowering bikes if you do a run a quick search.

S

3. I'm a little confused. Naked bikes are not sports bikes. So what types of bikes is she looking at? What capacity range?

You may find that some mid capacity naked bikes aren't that bad and that simply by backing the pre-load off you can get a bike that is suitable.

As to lowering in general:
    So long as you lower the front and back similar magnitudes it shouldn't upset the bike too much. Keep in mind you may strike ground clearance problems and/or suspension travel problems.

4. Tell her to wear these :LOL:

2007_Icon_Womens_Bombshell_Boot.

5. Thanks for all your replies.

In response to smcguane comments, where did you get your lowering links from?

Iblast, yes sorry it is a little ambigous classification, capacity around 500-750cc, something like a CB600F hornet, or Suzuki GS500E or something similar. Not a crusier is probably a better description.

Thanks for the mention of the preload as I do believe both the CB600F and Suzuki GS500E have adjustable preload settings.

6. the SV650S is pretty low

7. Too much...?

I'd be looking at a bike that the OP's wife can sit on comfortably instead.

Manufacturers spend god knows how many millions desiging chassic layouts for optimum handling only for owners to changing them on a whim.

Where's the logic in that?

8. SV650 + shave some foam out of the seat, have suspension set up for her weight.

Zzr600 also has a low seat height, not that its naked.

Er6n too.

9. Use the search function.
    Been covered many a time. Lotsa good info already on this forum.

10. most sport bikes have a rake of 24-24.50 rake......lowering the rear only would make the bike more lazy.....if doing any lowering at all id recommend you marry the front up aswell

11.  Top
  12. by too much I was trying to not directly contradict smcguane. The reality is, provided you still have enough travel, lowering the front and rear the same amount shouldn't upset the handling at all.

In fact most non-budget bikes have the facility built in. It's called pre-load and height adjustment is it's primary function.

Also everybody's different. Different weight, different proportions, different height and they ride differently. So factory bike design is very much a compromise, not the utopia you describe.

Don't get me wrong. Once you get into swapping "dogbones" you are getting into dangerous territory, but if done correctly lowering can achieve a better handlying bike for a given individual.

P53, The bikes described aren't that high anyway. The ER6 as mentioned is also a pretty small bike. Chances are all of these bikes have spacers within the forks that can be cut or replaced. If you don't feel comfortable doing that you should be able to raise the forks through he triple clams by up to 10mm pretty readily. Do that and then back of rear preload and you should be pretty right.

All of those bikes have pretty conservative geometry. So even if you lower the front only, you will probably improve handling anyway. Theory is lowering the front steepens geometry and makes the bike less stable, but in my experience the extra weight on the front actually makes the front more planted. there must be a point where it gets too steep, but I haven't found it yet.

Once again, people and bikes are different.

I am suprised at the suggestion of the SV650S. I wouldn't call it a low bike. Try it anyway.

13. Hmmm...

That's entirely different to "lowering" a bike, which I take it to mean significant changes to the bike's suspension geometry and layout.

Never said anything about it being a "utopia". I'm talking about radically altering a bike's design specs.

In any case, with most bikes they're designed for optimum handling and stability within the constraints of the bike's design due to type. And with that in mind if you go mucking around with an R1's suspension, as an example, I can't see how you'd achieve anything other than to adversely affect how the bike's gonna handle.

As for the OP's requirements, he or she is best to go and sample a number of bikes to find out which fits best, as it were, rather than getting something and rooting it up just so you can touch the ground with both feet.

14. but lowering the front and rear the same amount doesn't change the front end geometry other than using up the travel. It does change the rear and this, I agree, you need to be careful with.

15. Monster

16. That's a bit harsh. I'm just making my argument.

17. I don't know if he understood your post to mean Ducati Monster or not. Either way awesome post... The new Ducati Monster 696 is a pretty mean looking machine. I work at Fraser Motorcycles so I see plenty of satisfied people riding away on them.

18. Always start by seeing what you can do with the seat.

A good seat trimmer can lower and narrow the seat profile by several centimetres, making it easier for short legs to get to the ground, and with the right foam, make the seat more comfortable than it ever was orginally.

Google John Moorhouse Ergo Seats as an example. If she misses by only a few centimetres, the seat fix lets you leave the bike's engineering alone.