Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

lowering seat height

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by hansrd_98, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Hi,
    Anyone here modified their seat to lower the height? Can you recommend any place in Sydney that do a good job of it? As an aside, was there any noticeable difference in the ride characteristics other than the height being lower?

2. There are lots of places, I think Metzi is pretty good but I'm sure others have their own favourites. I don't know how much lower you can go though, it depends on the bike I guess.
    FWIW, I think you're going the right way about it; I have seen people fiddle with the suspension to lower the bike, which usually totally stuff things up ....
    Lowering the seat itself shouldn't effect the ride, if anything it could improve things by lowering the centre of gravity. However, you will find your riding position will have changed. You might hate it, or you might get used to it.

3. I've lowered the seat on my wife's Ducati Monster.

Take the cover off, take an angle grinder to the foam, remember that you should have really put a mask and safety glasses on first.

Hold it steady and take it very slow, the grinder likes to pull it's way into the foam.

Re-attach the cover with a staple gun.

It's not too difficult, but it takes quite a bit of time to get it looking and feeling good.

4. I think a electric carving knife would be safer( angle grinder)bit on the dangerous side unless your a butcher. :p

5. Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. Have just emailed metzi. FYI its a Yamaha R6 1999.