Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

lowering height question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rabbit, Sep 19, 2007.

1. I'd like to drop the seat height about another inch or so. I currently tiptoe but would like to get the balls of my feet on the ground.

I've found the following options (please correct if I'm wrong - I don't know the names of all the bike bits)

- link arm things to permanently lower the back end
    - adjustable link arm things (approx $300)
    - shaving seat (rather not go there)

or my old favorite from trail bike days, wind the spring (suspension spring? ) down.

I don't want to affect the handling, but given that I weigh about 58kg and the bike was designed to handle heavier people, it should be ok ?
  2. Wind the spring down, with 58kg you'll be fine, especially if you're not going fast and hard.
  3. thanks Hotcam

Still just in the learning phases, so not going fast yet :grin:
  4. change to 120/80 pirelli tyre
  5. Yep. Apparently our bikes/wheels were designed for this size.

6. Interesting... Will have to check 'em out
  7. Also I don't know how many km's you've got on the bike so far, but noticing it's a 2007 I'll say the bike will drop a bit after it has been run in. The suspension will sag more when you sit on it after 1000-1500kms or so.
  8. Only ridden it 3 times, but don't feel very secure. I need someone heavy to jump on it :)
  9. I had a look at the spring last night - I don't think its adjustable :(
  10. You don't really want to adjust the preload (wind the spring down) as this will stiffen up the suspension, which would be a bad thing for a lightweight like yourself.

Adjust both the front and rear, to maintain handling. Unless you want more of a cruiser or cafe racer.

At the front, the forks should be raised in the clamps. This will make your bike turn in faster, so be aware and ready for it. Some bikes can't raise the forks much.

At the rear, get someone who knows what they are doing to advise you. I don't know your bike. Does it have a height adjusting link arm? If so then an adjustable link arm, or aftermarket fixed length shorter arm would be the go. Fix length arms would be much cheaper, but you need to know what length is required to lower the bike by the amount required. You aren't going to grow taller (are you?) so a permanent fixed adjustment down shouldn't be an issue. Keep the old link for resale reasons.

Some people run lower pressures in their tyres. Don't. You will wear the tyres much faster, and handling will suffer. A different tyre profile might help, but then you wont get to enjoy the tall profiles like those on a Pilot Power. :grin:

So, it probably means seeing a dealer, or a mechanic who knows what they are doing and your bike.

I had my bike adjusted down so that I could get the balls of my feet down. Anything less is very uncomfortable, and not safe, as you know.
  11. I had my bike lowered by these guys ...

whom I highly recommended. Only down-side was its easier to scrape pegs!

That's the SV650s - which I intend to have for a while.

With the VTR250 they just dropped the forks a tad.
    Figured I had to get used to the seat height on it as upgrading to anything larger was going to be even more of a challenge!

Anything you do to a bike will change its handling slightly (I'm still getting used to highrises) it just mean readjusting your riding position/style a little till it all settles in :)