Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lowering a sports bike

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by kynyt1703, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hello all,

im new to here :)

Ive searched on lowering bikes but the post were a bit old so I might start a new one.

I havent passed my prelearners first but Im trying to figure out the bike im going to get. cause i want as much practice as i could when i do pass. and since i think i need a bit of modification so i need to plan ahead.

Im only 5'1 (girl) 55kgs. Im only interested in a sports bike. I doubt il drive it for long distance and super duper fast. I want to ride a motorbike cause I simply cant afford petrol and cant stand sydney traffic anymore. ](*,)

Im hoping to get it lowered in order for me to be flat footed. I live in the hills area and stopping at the lights on a slope seems to be a no go for my height.

I was wondering what are the rough/reasonable price to get seat shaved and lowering links? and is it dangerous to lower bike myself?
    i got quoted around $500 just to lower the bike with the links and around $150 to get seat shaved.
  2. Have you sat on a Kawasaki Ninja 250r? They are quite small i can imagine you sitting on it and being able to touch the ground.
  3. Hey, said in another post that my girlfriend is probably shorter than you and rides a ninja 250r. The bike is quiet a large bike, but she got her seat shaved and has been riding it for about 3 months.

All that was done was shaving the seat and removing all the pre-load out of the shocks. At first she did have troubles riding it so we took it to a car park for her just to get used to it.

If you are thinking of getting a full fairing bike think about getting crash knobs. We got oggy knobs thrown in when we purchased her bike. Also got LED indicators as they are shorter and less likely to be damaged when you drop the bike.

If you are looking at getting a bigger bike down the road, try riding something like a ninja without lowering it too much. Lynda doesn’t actually flat foot it that much and usually stops on the balls of her foot.
  4. Don't worry about the Ninja 250r, try the gpx250. I think it's lower and although it might not have the looks like the 250r does, guess which one has less weight and more power?
  5. i havent sat on a ninja 250r but seen a few Super Lowered version on the streets and they look a bit more promising than the stupid cb250 i sat on during my prelearners.

i sat on a cbr125 and yamaha r15? well, the 125cc versions, they were of course still a bit high for me, but i was wearing thongs/flat shoes when i jumped on. but that was when i never jumped on a bike so everything felt tall, big, heavy etc.

Im pretty new to bikes, but for my height and weight, would a 125cc be enough for me? I know most pro riders will say getting a 125 is dumb, its not enough, il regret etc... but if its ok, im planning to get it new since they aren't too expensive (at least with all modifications im going to do). I just need something to get me from A to B and not like wizzing through the royal national park or something like that.

i know this might sound a bit stupid, but if im stuck in traffic on a hill/slope. do i suppose to try to get in front of the traffic or if not possible, do i suppose to stop with one feet flat and rear brake?

i forgot to add, i think my inseam is only around 28"
  6. Get a cbr 125 or new yammy 150 all you want is for the comute how about a postie.
    Once you get used to them you will want more power for sure the 250's are still super cheap on petty.
    I would go a gpx 250 its cheap and plentiful
    If you do go for a 250 ninja if ur that straped for cash and a lady il fit them for you u just gota buy em.

7. Yeah,
    I do like the ninja 250 and cause I know alot of people have lowered it.
    I can somehow afford a ninja but it's just the mods that seems a bit dear and as a woman and a learner ( know nothing bout bikes) il probally get ripped off hard. Cause I know on YouTube some people just say they lowered it themselves without paying hundreds just to get someone to pop them on. Is there any cons in getting a secondhand ninja?
    I know this might nit be in the right section to ask but what's the meaning when people say low cc bikes can nit handle highway driving? Do they mean it's not fast enough or meaning it's too light or the aren't meant for it full stop?
  8. At your weight a Ninja 250 will be fine on the highway, will be revving pretty hard but won't be a problem. Not to mention the ninjas from 08 onwards are the sexiest 250's ive seen on the road!
  9. Not fast enough - I will handle hitting highway speeds but there is nothing left to get you out of trouble leaving you with less options in case of an emergency.

Also (not so much on a small cc bike) as you are learning - bikes are expensive! the bigger bikes are not *that* cheap on fuel, they need more servicing, tyres wear quicker and are more expensive that car tyres, parts are expensive too. You can bring the costs down by learning how to fix / service it yourself and sourcing parts yourself from wreckers & OS. That all said - I'd rather be on my bike any day than stuck in a 'beige' car.

Stop the "i'm a girl & short" mindset now! Educate yourself - If you have to pay someone to do something If you ask the right questions they won't rip you off & learn to work around your height issues - there are plenty of really short guys riding big bikes about the place.
  10. True, but if you ride accordingly it's not that big a problem.

Even a 250 Ninja will still accelerate far better than a lot of cars from 100kph, and has the added bonus of being able to fit through much smaller gaps in traffic.

Edit: I don't think it's lack of power that gets most newbies on 250s into trouble, pretty sure it has more to do with confidence outweighing ability ;).
  11. Of course it can be managed - and being on a restricted licence doesn't leave you with many options but to manage it until you can get a bigger bike
  12. Is it a general rule that the higher the cc the more expensive parts are?
  13. Not really ,tyres yes litre bike go through tyre every few thousand ks

If you wana learn about bikes the best thing to do is buy a service manual for what ever bike you buy, start small like checking your tyre pressure etc and slowly build bu your knowledge im sure theres plenty of blokes on here that would help out.
  14. Not always. Parts for a rare 250 will cost a hell of a lot more than those for a more common 600-750.

Of course parts for modern bikes are also usually a lot more than those for older bikes - not because they're better quality, but simply because manufacturers realised how much profit there is in spare parts.

If you're worried about the price of spares, buy a GPX 250. It'd be hard to find anything cheaper/easier to find spare parts for.
  15. Agree completely - It's not a pretty bike though (pretty sure they have more hp than the ninja too)

You also have to consider as a learner and the fact you dropped the bike twice on the pre-learners that it's highly possible you'll have at least one stationary drop on your own bike - What an oem ninja side panel is $400 odd on its own.

It would be better to get a bike that is not so pretty but mechanically sound and learn how to do the basics yourself on it.
  16. I'd take that advice because he's totally right. Plenty of girls really get out there and learn all this stuff, short or tall. You'd be surprised what you can really do if you try. As for the Ninja 250 it's a fairly good learner bike. Easy to handle, not too high, flexible in modifications, and looks good on the road for a learner (even though very common). Nothing wrong with getting second-hand bike but make sure you check out a few and look into it. Ask a lot of questions. Jump on a few different bikes, see what you feel comfortable on. The CBR250R or RR are just as low as well. I don't find a 125 very worth it but if you just wanna use it to get from A to B then I suppose it's enough.
  17. I know Jd has mentioned modern bike parts are more dearer than older bikes but does that also mean the same thing as to a 08 and 11 ninja? Cause I can get a 08 ninja 1.5-2k off but not sure if it's worth.
    You know for the crash knob things, do they protect your bike completely on a stationary drop?
  18. No - 08 and a new ninja will cost the same for parts.

Crash knobs will not save to you from all damage (unless you are super lucky) in a stationary drop it's highly likely that they will stop worse damage.

It pretty clear you are set on a a 250 with a couple of grand of plastic on it to make it look like a sports bike. You're just going to have to shop around for parts to get the best deal & when you drop it dont fix it up like new - it will end up costing you a fortune - fix what needs to be fixed to keep it safe and legal, leave the rest until you are reay to sell it or at least a lot more confident. I've seen these bikes fixed to look new and within a couple of weeks they get dropped again.
  19. Yep. By "older" bikes I meant things that were designed back in the 80's (like the GPX), when it was more common for manufacturers to use an existing part rather than design something totally new for every model.

This tends to make parts cheaper - though with the new Ninja being made in Thailand there is a pretty good supply of cheap aftermarket parts available out of SE Asia. So if you do happen to drop the bike replacing things like indicators, levers, etc., won't be as expensive as with some other bikes.
  20. To the OP, I really would advise getting suspension modifications done professionally. It's not something for the amateur to mess about with.

If you are planning on keeping the car? It might not save much if any money after licence, insurance, maintenance etc.
    Are you planning to ride the bike every day or take the bus if it rains?
    How long do you intend to keep the bike? Would you look at moving up to something bigger after RE?

I had a Yamaha Scorpio as my return to motorcycling bike. Yes, an ugly much sneered at bike but I can say it never let me down and got me to and from work every day at less than 3L/100km.
    My mate managed to drop it in a gravel carpark resulting in one small scratch to the handlebar end and a slight bend in the front brake lever.