Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lower back pain and the CB 250

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Zenyatta_Mondatta, May 29, 2009.

1. Hi all -

A bit over a week ago I did my MOST (and passed woohoo) and I hired a CB250 for the day. I didn't find it very comfy and the vibration made my brain feel like it was bouncing around in my skull. Got a headache after that. Anyway - ever since the day after my test I've had lower back pain which is at times debilitating (couldn't sleep last night cause of pain) and I can't bend over or anything like that. I don't get back pain on the ZZR250 - could it be the CB250 that has caused this? I haven't done any heavy lifting or weird exercises.

Does anyone else find this bike uncomfortable to ride?
  2. Well, most of the Hondas I've ever owned have been a complete pain in the arse, but I suspect that's not quite what you're talking about.
  3. Hmm...the zzr and the cb250 wont have much different sitting position.

It could be your unfamiliarity to the bike causing your body to over compensate and just tense up to give some muscle pain
  4. I DID tense up, oh man. I came home with really sore triceps from subconsciously trying to hold the bar still and not move everywhere! (it felt like it was just going to spin out at any second!)
  5. Seriously, a rental bike is moderately unlikely to be in peak condition, which could explain the vibration and the floppy handling you allude to.

Changing to an unfamiliar bike can be a bit of a shock if it's something you don't do often and so I'm not entirely surprised you became very tense in an already rather stressful situation and maybe overreacted a bit to the feel of the bike.

I'd say the combination of factors could quite easily lead to what you're experiencing, although I wouldn't be too quick to blame the CB specifically (look folks, PatB being fair to a Honda :shock: ) as you may have found the same thing with any unfamiliar and below par rental bike on the day.
  6. i would put it down to the changeover of bike with the fact that you were under stressy conditions.

that said there shouldnt be anything more than muscle soreness. you may want to go and see a doc about it if its keeping you up
  7. It is not very comfy if you're sitting on it for the entire day and yes, the vibration is "murderous" on your wrists and hands.

I drive one today and have so for the last year every day to work and back and I've had just about enough of it. Vibrations and heavy clutch are taking its toll.

For the little stretch that I do (17 km one way) it's adequate and I don't get headaches or sore backs. I also took it for a drive to a customer on the freeway and that was too much. At 95 km/hour on the freeway my teeth started to rattle and my wrists ached all day.

It's great to learn on and very, very forgiving in any situation but you outgrow its' capabilities quite fast. Hence the upgrade to my Yamaha XVS650 which should prove to increase the comfort and the power struggle.
  8. where did you do the training at

was it a cb250 or cbf250

if you got back pain riding a cbr250, that would be understandable

last time i rode a twin (er6) the thing seemed to vibrate alot, maybe im used to 4 cylinder smoothness
  9. It was a CB250 which I spent hours riding in one day. I can only imagine that the vibration has really upset my back. I wouldn't ride one again. I'm on the voltaren now and waiting for my back to get better, and exercising and stretching.
  10. Vibrations?? Try riding a Firestorm!! Vibrations are when your windscreen is chattering at idle!
  11. That's not vibration, you soft pansy.
  12. Ok, how bout this, vibrations is when you're scraping the pegs along a 50 foot long beltsander while riding in the nude with a vibrator up your clacker!
  13. On a pre rubber mounted Harley?

I concur.
  14. I occasionally ride LizzyM's CB monster. It scares the sh!t out of me.

I find that the secret is basically to ride it as little as possible and get back on to the BMW.

The only good things it has going for it is it's weight (no problems with U-turns because it's easier just to to pick it up and turn it around) and it's horn (Stebel not standard. If you ride a CB250 you need a decent horn because the only way cagers will take you seriously is if they mistake you for a truck).

That aside I can't imagine it giving you serious back problems unless you pulled a muscle picking it up doing U-turns.
  15. You wrote up above that you were really tense. Do you think that is the real source of the problem? I was on a CB250 for the day of my licence test and agree with you that it isn't as smooth-running as other bikes and has worse ergonomics than other bikes but I didn't suffer any sort of ill effects due to it. Maybe you were just unlucky and tweaked your back in the wrong way that day. Alternatively, you may have had a pre-existing condition and it got triggered by the CB250.

Maybe it'd be worth paying a visit to a good physio. I went to see one just before Easter due to huge pain in my neck/shoulders/back (all stress related) and that helped a lot. He said my back and neck was out.... and he cracked them both. He added that by the look of it that my back has been out for some time (probably dating all the way back to 2005 when I suffered an injury at work).
  16. Been riding a cb250 for a year now and yes it's given me lower back problems.

I'm 6'2 and commute 120km round trip, this along with a minor back injury can combine to cause me real discomfort. I've been having massage treatement for 2 weeks now after finally having enough.

I rode a gs500 today, as soon as I took off my back pain was reduced - I hadn't realised how bad things had become. I guess it had gradually built up over time.
  17. Sounds like you need a new bike :LOL: :LOL:

I've just traded in my CB250 for a Yamaha XVS650 and I enjoy riding a lot more now. No more vibrations, no more back pain, relaxed riding position and finally, finally power to get up bridges and hills :wink:
  18. The gs500 is also a twin so if its new might be ok till the rattles build up down the track, thats what i dont like about twins, I had an old twin as my first bike and had a bad attack of lower back pain didnt connect it with the bike as the back pain happened a day after a ride, but who knows it probably was that rattling twin that caused it.
  19. cant say I have ever had lower back pain from riding, well not motorcycles anyway.