Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Low Sports Bike Handle Bars and Bigger Bikes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ricomac, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hi there

First up.......apologies for my numerous posts that probably have asked the same questions in slightly different ways :). I have gone through the archieves hunting for info though...

I am hunting around for my first bike. Only ridden a real bike about 3 times (2 of those were the Ls) before but have owned a 50cc scooter for a year.

Hyosung GT250R - how difficult does this make learning with the lower handle bars? Like others here, I saw them at the motor show and was impressed considering the cost. I was driving last night on a mates 250 cruiser and it was very easy to turn on. Never felt I was going to drop it or anything.

250s - how long should you spend on one before you move up? a couple of months?

The Dream (and this I have already posted on) - I sat on a Ducati Monster 620 at the motor show and it was so comfortable I couldnt believe it (and its not a brand thing as I didnt know they were fancy although its expensive). Had some positive replies but some people have said its not a good idea. Too powerful. I just dont know.

Thanks everyone and I will advise with the final purchase.........
  2. Now rico, first things first
    You know how some of us here (well, Ok me) harp on about the information or lack of it the profile over there to the left? Well the reason we do that is because it can make a difference to the answers we give.
    See, if you're in Victoria you have a different set of rules governing what you can ride than if you are in NSW, SA or Qld.
    So, give us a hand and tells us where you are (we won't come round and visit, honest!) and perhaps how old you are, and we can give you some concrete and helpful answers.....
  3. Good points hornet and apologies. I will fill that bit out.

I am 30 year old guy and live in NSW. I am 5'4 which is why I think the monster felt nice. I am not confident yet on the bike (only driven around the industrial parks) but I think I am a fast learner.
  4. Lower handlebars shouldn't make learning a problem, only comfort - I started out on the 250 Kat which has handlebars about as low as you can get. As to how long you spend on a 250, it's up to you - I've been riding mine now for more than 12 months, probably keep it for at least another year - all a bigger bike really offers is the ability to go faster in a straight line (or slightly more relaxed cruising).
  5. 30 years old and an unblemished car license is the "bling" spot; you can go straight to a bigger bike. This from the RTA web-site. The world is your oyster, and all for the price of getting older!!

"If you are aged 30 years or over and hold, or are eligible to hold, a gold driver’s licence, you may proceed directly from a Learner Rider Licence to an unrestricted licence. However, you are still required to successfully complete the pre-learner and pre provisional courses.

You are not required to wait three months between gaining your Learner Rider Licence and attending the pre-provisional course.

While on your Learner Rider Licence you must observe all the normal learner rider restrictions:

Maximum speed of 80km/h.
    Display an L plate on the rear of your motorcycle.
    Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (in effect, this means you cannot drink before riding).
    Wear an approved Australian Standards AS1698 motorcycle helmet
    No pillion passenger.
    Motorcycle engine capacity and power to weight restriction. 660ml engine capacity and power to weight ratio not greater than and 150kw / tonne and is a bike approved by the RTA and displayed on the List of Approved Motorcycles for Novice Riders.
    When you have successfully completed the pre-provisional course and passed the Motorcycle Operator Skills Test (MOST), you will be issued a Certificate of Competence. Go to your nearest motor registry and:

Produce your Certificate of Competence (red in colour).
    Produce your Learner Rider Licence.
    Pay the licence fee.
    You will then be issued with an unrestricted rider licence. Please note that you are prohibited from carrying a passenger until you have held this licence for 12 months.
  6. How big is safe considering I am a raw beginner really when it comes to a manual bike. From what I have read, some say its fine to start on a 600 and some say no way.
  7. Well, it's really up to you isn't it? One thing to throw into the mix though is that 250's will forgive many mistakes that could really cost you on a 600+. Specifically mistakes with the right hand grip, the one that makes it go..... A slip up on the throttle on a 250 is usually easily countered because 250's lack power, same mistake on big bike could highside you or send you places you didn't intend to go, quickly.

I have had many "learning experiences" on my little vtr in the last 12 months that made me glad I'm on a 250.
  8. Buy yourself a 600 and "play yourself in".

Back before we had the nanny society, learners would get 750s, sure some of them had a few falls, but there wasn't a spike in fatalities.

Like cars, computers and many other devices, you get used to the increased performance very quickly; the human brain has an amazing capacity to adjust to change.
  9. I guess the thought of a 600 does worry me a bit. But then I have found quite a bit around about people who started on the 620 monster and found it quite ok.
  10. Two points about the 620-
    1. It comes in a "lite" model that is restricted to 25kw for learners

2. Even if not restricted its a twin, delivers its power very differently from a 600cc 4pot sport bike, and is much less powerful anyway.

And they are well horn, sound great and I want one :D

Hmm, that was three points.
  11. Hey Jbot

I was told on a previous post that the 'lite' was more of a problem than the unrestricted. Had to do with the power delivery being more stable/predictable on the unrestricted monster.
  12. I'm sure someone on the forums has mentioned before that the Monster is restricted simply by putting a stop on the throttle which prevents you from opening it fully (therefore restricting power). So as long as you're careful with the throttle there's no real reason why you couldn't start out on the unrestricted version (with no sudden lack of acceleration to catch you out).
  13. you havn't ridden a bigger bike yet have you? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

personally, i would say FORGET 250s! you are in NSW, make the most of it :D

the biggest thing about 250s that makes them easier to learn on is the size of the things. they are small and light and easy to flick around. they also have very forgiving throttles and not very grabby brakes (for the most part). BUT this isn't necissarily a good thing.

i feel a lot safer knowing my GF is on a XJR400 (LAMS approved) now instead of the old GPX250 and she's happier there too. its a little heavier, so not as twitchy (still much lighter than most bigger bikes) has better brakes and suspension than most 250s and is actually able to accelerate at a decent reate.

250s are fine if you have to ride one, but they are way overpriced for what they are, get the shizzle flogged out of them and keep the average punter happy for all of a fortnight :LOL: you wont be scared of a 400-500 (or restricted 650.... the duke is a good idea :wink: ) for long, in fact, probably not for any longer than you would have been freaked out on the 250. the LAMS thing exists for a reason, it is a better system. unless you weigh 30kg, i'd be certain you'd be happier on a slightly larger bike :D
  14. For what it's worth, yes actually I have. Have also had no trouble passing some bigger bikes through windy roads. :D
  15. neither did i on my 250, used to thrash quite a few big boys that got the willies around corners :wink: (got my arse handed to me by a great deal too tho :oops: ) but if you really reckon that a bit higher top speed is all a bigger bike has to offer, then i would suggest that you havn't ridden one for very long, or a very good one (i'll admit, i wasn't real impressed with my dads old XJ750 while i was still riding the bandit)

if you dont reckon the GREATLY improved feel on most bigger bore (and therefore better put together) bikes is really all that much to write home about, then i'd go back and try again. not saying 250s are all shyte, they're great fun and we vics have to ride them, but once you've had fat, you'll never go back :LOL: :LOL:
  16. I must say that when I sat on the Ducati monster 620 it felt light and small enough for me to handle. Just need to get a test drive now :) The fact it is 600+ is just a bit intimidating for the beginner. But I have access to a 250 cruiser to practice on for a few months.
  17. it'd be restricted anyway, so shouldn't be anything of a handful really. the 600+ bikes that are a worry are the 4 cyl sportsbikes, they really do hammer with most of them capable of over 100kph in first gear (older ones dont quite get there but are still close). a twin, be it parallal or V should have much more manageable power and with a restrictor (even if it is a basic throttle restrictor), it should be a piece of piss to get the hang of. only reason i'd give the monster a miss is if your really worried about dropping it. but then its a cost thing and you should still be able to pick up a 400 import or 500 commuter for the same sorta money as a 250...
  18. hi coconuts

because I had been driving in nsw for a year on a scooter, i now have a full licence. so rta said I can drive whatever i want so i would get the unrestricted monster if I go for it.
  19. Yep larger bikes certainly have their advantages, though they can tend to cost more to insure/run. Was probably being a little simplistic in stating that bigger bikes only offer better straight line speed/acceleration but that is probably the main reason why people upgrade.