Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Low speed riding.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by typhoon, Mar 9, 2007.

1. I got stuck in some nasty traffic this morning, and was watching other riders cruising up between the cars as I was. I found teh different slow speed techniques interesting, and some looked downright dangerous!
    The one I found the most scary loking (and the most common) was riding along slowly, with both feet out, barely above teh ground. Looks to me like it would be very easy to catch a foot, get unsettles due to not having the other leg and foot firmly secured to teh bike, and get a nice wobble going!
    The other thing is it means you are solely relying on your front brake to stop in a hurry, and this combined with having to turn quickly could be interesting. I dunno, is that how you have to ride a sports bike?
    Anyway, I find I ride along with my left foot over the side ready to stop, and my right foot on the peg and brake lever. I know I can get the foot down once I've stopped. I also find it makes takeoffs easier, I have the rear brake already set for a takeoff, so I can get going faster (yes I can take off using the front brake too!).
    So, how do you ride slowly?
    PS mods, I was going to put this in New riders/tips
    but thought it fitted better here, do what you will........

Regards, Andrew.
  2. As I normally would - just in first gear, bit of clutch and use the rear-brake.

My bike wouldn't even move a foot from stationary before both my feet are on the pegs.

... I don't get those guys who take off with the trailing left-leg. You really going to put it back down at 30km/h?
  3. When myself and my Miss'es once were able to go to bike rally's (before 4 kids) they had slow races for drunken entertainment (last one across the line wins). One of the best ways to learn how to ride your bike is to ride as slow as you can with your feet on the pegs.
    You should be able to ride slower than walking pace and at times be completly stopped (with your feet still on the pegs) Once you can do this you will be amazed at the level of slow speed control you have.
    It's easy to do 200kph on a bike it hard to do 2kph. It's a great way to learn how to be a better rider and it's very useful in traffic.
  4. I'm with Andrew; right foot on the peg and covering the rear brake.....
  5. I generally try and keep both feet up, but sometimes will hold the left one out a little if there's someone being an idiot in front of me and going fast-stopping-going fast-stopping-going fast-stopping rather than keeping a constant slow pace and keeping on moving
  6. Try low speed riding in a car park, figure 8's feet up, stand on the peg's etc. You will learn heeps about balance and control learning how to ride slow.
  7. I can ride at 3km/h easy enough and can at the best of times compe to a complete stop for roughly 1 second and take off again without putting my foot down.
    At lights i use my front brake just because i usually stand on my right foot and i never drag my feet unless im lazy or group riding in slow traffic.
  8. Just a note that when I was referring to myself riding along with left foot out, it's only at very slow speeds in close quarters, a situation where I could have to stop at a moment's notice. If I'm going faster than a jog, both feet up. My low speed riding is fine, I can, if I choose, sit in stop start traffic for as long as my left hand can tolerate it! The GTR has a typically Kawasaki clutch lever, heavy and a fair amount of travel.
    I was just amazed by the people riding by at 25-35km/h with both feet out, looked scary and unstable, like those rowboat desktop ornaments, the ones with the balance weights at the end of teh oars, made out of chromed steel! :shock:

Regards, Andrew.
  9. yeah wasnt the traffic lovely this morning stupid cagers having accident and just about iscolation queanbeyan from canberra, god i wish i could go out to jobs on my bike...

yep, both feet on the pegs, having them both hanging out the side, could equally a squashed foot if a cager swerves to miss a pot hole or what ever it is they swerve to miss
  10. I find I can get my left foot out way fast enough, so I always ride two feet up. I can balance for about between 5 and 10s with both feet up, anyway.

As for slow-speed riding, usually one or two fingers on the front brake when lane splitting or zipping around cars, rear brake set, foot sitting on top of the gear lever. On the Monster, which probably has a bit too long a first gear, I'll have one finger hovering over the clutch - took about 2 months to build up enough strength in my index finger to actuate the dry clutch, but it's a piece of piss now. On my Gixxer which was -1 on the front sprocket, this wasn't a problem.

If I'm doing some move that means I need acceleration and may exceed first gear, I'll put my foot under the lever when I'm getting close to snag 2nd.

I never ride with my feet pointing out, and I'm loathe to have them down off the pegs any more than I need. I did a lot of trail riding when young, either is a recipe for snagging a tree-root or catching a stick... both of which hurt.
  11. Trail/Trials riding now there's a place to learn REAL skill. God I need a dirt bike.
  12. I'll only put my feet down if it's a mega tight stationary split and I've stopped the bike and walking it around mirrors that are only just staggered enough for me to sway my bike from side to side to get through. Well, on my bike, pretty much if I can see the white line, my bike will fit! If I'm not confident there's room I won't do it, but if it just requires a little manouvering - why not. Otherwise, feet up with rear brake and clutch for usual slow riding.
  13. Is a true skill to be able to control a bike at slow speed. As a question thou, how many people are interested in post licence training? And training that does not involve a track? Training designed at low speed control such as slow riding through a maze, over planks etc. Answer - very, very few. Yet it is a skill we use so often around the driveway, the servo, car park etc. Sorry just always amuses me how few want to gain additional skills at travelling slow. It would certainly make rides like the GP and toy run a lot safer.

14. I don't know ask Rossi. :wink: FWIW, I'm with you though...

If you watch the MotoGP start you'll see Hayden and Tamada hanging a leg for at least the length of the grid.
  15. Even one foot off at very low speeds just isn't necessary. Apart from when stopped the only time I put a foot down is if I don't get a u-turn quite right and need to stop the bike from falling over. As supamodel said most people should be able to get the foot off the peg well and truly quick enough to do this.
  16. Don't they teach low speed riding at the L and P courses? One of the exercises we had to do (um...15+ years ago) was slow straight line riding.
  17. Yeah, but they don't teach feet positioning very well, and at least at the Stay Upright one in Tassie, they said "if it makes you feel comfortable, hang one foot out there sometimes, especially on the uturn". Personally, I learnt U-turns on a trail bike that was a bit big for me, so I had to learn how to do it with balance and feet on the pegs...

On the positioning side, someone took out a cone on the cone weave on my P's course cause they had their foot out at a 45 degree angle to the bike off the peg (foot was on the peg, mind you).
  18. slow ride like u turn is about clutch and throttle. i prefer to use 2nd gear because the engine is softer (less engine brake). so 2nd gear, clutch out abit, throttle as necessary, foot on pegs, and turn the handle.
  19. Alot of clutch frying goes on in here.
  20. does it really affect your clutch much though??

at the moment i am sometimes half clutching and using throttle when i turn a tight corners in my backyard, i am getting a little bit better though... hopefully backyard prac. and pre-learner course .. shouldn't be a reason i'll fail !!!