Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Low speed drop on engine (2011 Honda cb1100)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Freeform, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

A lovely lady ran into the back of me in the cbd, we were pretty much motionless, I was doing maybe 5-10kph as was she. Long story short i've gone over from the unexpected nudge, and the bike has landed on its left side (from riding perspective) while still running for around a minute or so I would say. If you have a look at images of the new cb1100's you can see that the engine sticks out quite a way. Pulling over to inspect the damage at the end of the street I noticed the engine is scratched at the bottom left (meaning the bike did rest its weight on the engine) and there were a few beads of oil hanging of the bottom of the engine.

It seems like no other oil has come out of the bike since and the only visible damage is the scratches on the engine casing.

Should I be concerned, seems like leaving a 250kg bike resting on its engine case isn't exactly healthy.

Cheers :)
  2. The alternator cover might be cracked. They're pretty thin and are easy to hole in even minor stationary drops. New cover from the wreckers is the best fix. Personally I usually offer a quick prayer to Araldite, ancient Goddess of Broken Things.