Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Low Beam wont work

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by 610, Jun 15, 2007.

1. I own a 97 GSXR 750. And the low beam doesnt work. When the switch is set to low beam the brake lights still work. And High beam works fine.
    I have checked the fuses and cant see any blown, and I also replaced both bulbs but that didnt help either.
    If anyone has any suggestions on some checks i could do that would be great.
    Thanks

2. just had a look at it then. When the fuse is in the multi meter says zero volts. When i take the fuse out and run the multimeter straight into the two connections it reads 12 or 14 ish. When i hook the multimeter up to the high beam when its on (read of the two points on the fuse) it reads 0.06 volts. So it looks like there is power going to the low beam circuit but not when the fuse it in (and the circuit is complete). Im confused. What other points should i check?

3. check that the fuse is still working and hasn't blown. Easiest way is to switch your multimeter to resistance and check it. If it's ok, you'll read a low resistance, otherwise you won't read anything

4. Check your bulb and your earths. Apply 12v to the bulb directly.

Regards, Andrew.

5. i put the fuse from high beam into the low beam but nothing. so not the fuse. brought new globes, but will try what you said just to be sure

6. ur new globes work?

7. When you are checking the fuse where are you holding the milti meter?
    The black lead should be on earth or battery minus. And use the red lead to check both sides of the fuse.
    If it shows volts on both sides of the fuse on low beam and not on high, then the fuse and the hi-low beam switch are ok.

You can also use this method to check if the power is getting to the globe.
    Just leave the black where it is and check the socket that goes on to the globe.
    I don't know which one but one of them should have power on low beam, another should have power on high beam and the one that's left should go to earth.