Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Loud pipes in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Jaqhama, May 29, 2006.

1. Now even if you are not in favour of loud motorcycle exhaust pipes, there's no doubt that in America at least biker's will fight tooth and nail for what they see as either a right or an additional safety aspect of their riding.

What did riders in NSW do when the EPA and Police started to crack down on loud bike pipes...sweet FA is what.

Aussies let the government just roll right over them virtually unopposed.
    Motorcyclists especially.

Though the recent stoppage of the NTC lane splitting rule shows that may be about to change.

I give you this as an example, something I suggested to Bandit at Bikernet and which he and ABATE are now using as a guideline.

A garden worker with a leafblower, in an apartment complex, with many small lanes and areas, may well spend an hour using the VERY noisy leafblower. He does so once a week.

A loud motorcycle goes past the apartment complex every day, once at 8am in the morning and once at 5pm at night.
    The bike seems to be as loud as the leafblower, but the bike is only adjacent to the apartment complex for 3 to 6 seconds as he passes by.

Why does the EPA choose to pick on the bike and not the leafblower?
  2. Many good points.

Leafblowers - exactly the same thought as you. EPA - how did we survive for thousands of years without them.....

Yes, there has been the odd crackdown and testing of ALL bikes for a few hours on the popular roads - pretty rare and just bad luck if you get caught.

Whilst I don't know why, the sticker legislation for exhaust systems in NSW was repealed recently so a win.

Anyone who disagrees with "loud pipes save lives" - have you ever ridden a bike with LOUD pipes? Most people are more than happy for you to get around them - they actually notice you.
  3. I'm forced to recall one time walking down Bentleigh here in Melbourne, a guy on a particularly obnoxiously loud Harley fired up his bike and rode it the whole way down the main shopping drag, blipping and revving the throttle continuously, while feathering the clutch held in most of the time allowing him to do this.

This thing was not just loud, it was like standing next to a jack-hammer, but even when it was still 30m away. To be honest, even jack-hammers sound more soothing than the mega-harsh metallic blat that came out of this thing.

For the entire time that this guy remained within the general area of the main shopping street, and traffic does move pretty slow through there, even when on a bike as there's no real room to split, I swear that nobody out on the street was able to communicate. Not even shouting would've been enough to make oneself understood.

When the arsehat finally put some distance between himself and the shopping area, pretty much all you could hear was the sound of screaming babies that had all been woken up from their peaceful slumber. Let me tell you, most babies can sleep through a lot.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while a leaf-blower might piss off a few neighbours, only arsehats on f*cking stupidly loud bikes can ride them through the middle of about 2000 shoppers, make conversation impossible, wake every mother's sleeping baby, and piss absolutely everyone on the whole street off. Even if it's short-lived, it's loud enough to make even mild-mannered people freaking mad.

As always, it's the obnoxious few that ruin it for everyone else by managing to turn pretty much every sector of the community against bikes with their selfish behavior in just one small act of selfishness. If there's a reason why the EPA target bikes, it's due to actions like that.

Of course, governments set arbitrary rules with little full thought for cause and effects. Well meaning government steps in to catch arsehat on 130dBA machine, and in doing so issue the same sort of penalty to those who are just a few dBA over at the 94dBA regulated maximum, which is well within instrumentation margins of error, and affected by general back-ground noise.

The problem is also not just dBA, but how freaking annoying some sounds are. In Europe they use the Sone system, which matches the pitch and tone of the noise, along with the sound level intensity, to generate just how loud and annoying a sound is to humans. Very loud, but low/deep sounds annoy people a lot less than harsh and/or whining even moderate volumed sounds.

The government needs to look at who's making the complaints, that being humans, and assess a better system (like Sone) that takes into account what humans find annoying, not just simply raw sound wave pressure (dBA).
  4. Hi Cathar

Let's see; baby screaming, leafblower or Harley - yep Harley wins again :grin:

I've sold my ar$ehat bike, but am sure I read on here a few months ago that whilst sports bike riders (obviously non-ar$ehats) were all being checked over by the EPA a mob of Harleys cruised on by. So whilst checking the pitch and tone is worthwhile, it must have been the whining of the sportsbike riders that caused the problems :wink:

Life's too short to worry about everyone else :cool:
  5. (sigh)

It really had nothing to do with the make/model of the bike. The bike in the story just happened to be a Harley. Plenty of arsehats on sportsbikes too. I guess the only difference is that by the time they rev up loud enough the sportsbikes are already hitting well over 100kph, and the misery really only lasts for a few seconds, rather than a good minute. ;)

...and no. I'm not worried about what other people do, except when it brings the arm of the law to the point of harrassing me. I've been pulled over for pointless and needless EPA checks one too many damn times for my liking.