Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lost number plate

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by sly, Feb 25, 2007.

1. On my ride up to Wollombi and the Putty road yesterday, i lost my ntmber plate. I'm assuming it must have come off from the vibration of the bike.

Anyways, I flagged down a cop to ask him what to do, he told me to call the police assistance line and report it (not sure why he couldn't log it in his computer??) So, did that, but had to ride all the way back to Sydney (200k's) with no number plate on. :shock: Luckily i didn't get pulled over, as apparently it would have been at the officers discretion as to whether they fine you or not.

Now, my question is, how long does it take to get a new plate made?? Bummer, cause there's no way I'm riding around anymore without a plate.

Doesn't give any indication of timeframe on the RTA site.

2. Not sure what it's like in NSW, but I lost my number plate and went into VicRoads and they gave me a new one over the counter.

Paid $13 or something like that.
  3. It will take longer IF you want to keep your old number though…but less it’s a personalized plate…a number is a number anyway
  4. If your plate is lost or stolen (unless it's a personalised one as Phanoongy mentioned) you should just go to an RTA/VicRoads office and get a brand new one.

"Why should I do that"

I'm glad you asked.

You never know where that plate could end up and it could be used for a couple of petrol ride off's or even worse and YOU could could end up with the law knocking on or kicking down your door......
  5. IF I did get a personalized plate I would try work out a way to secure the plate real good though….so it’s not just a matter of unbolting a few screws
  6. The Police have been fitting car rego plates with one way screws in many railway car parks & shooping centres (with permisiion of course) the idea being you can put them on but not undo the screws without a special tool which is designed to prevent the local's from half inching your plates to use in drive off's or toll & fine avoidance.

As for bikes I suggest reasonably large washers to increase the amount of area the bolts clamp onto (Prevent plate fracturing)and Nylock nuts or double nutting (not that kind you dirt minded boy) to try and prevent them shaking loose.