Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lost Keys - 01' ZZR250 - No idea what to do?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Radar, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

Long story short, gave my car keys to my lil' sis while I was out at sea, and she decided to have a big night on the town, losing her purse, and thus, my keys. Thankfully there's no identifying stuff, but I'm now sans keys, obviously.

So, what the crap do I do now? Any ideas? The best I can think of is to get a blank from Kawasaki, unscrew the entire fuelcap assembly, and take it into a locksmith. But I'm thinking that may take a fair bit of cash. Any other feasable ways?

And before you ask, yes, I do own this bike! Luckily it's in a locked up garage on a military base, and I do have my last rego and other stuff to prove it! I'm not dodgy, just unlucky :(

Cheers guys!

2. If its 1 of those coded type keys, kawasaki is the only way, give them a call and see where u stand..

i have a R6, 2 black keys, 1 red key, they said lose the black keys but what ever u do, dont lose the red (master key) otherwise big $$$$$$
  3. Thankfully, the bike is very basic in design. Keys are uncoded, just basic keys. There's no alarms or immobilisers or any sort of electronics really. So it shouldn't be too hard, I just dunno exactly what to do?
  4. call a locksmith out, or if u know how, take the barrel out and take that to the locksmith and they will make a new key
  5. Any Kwaka dealer can look up the VIN and get the 4 digit key code.

it usually comes with the bike on a metal tag (1/4" by 1/2" approx).

Cosways did it for me, a few years back, when i went to get a spare ket cut for my '02 ZZR. I didn't have to pay, probably because i got the blank off them.